ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 271 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
P
I saw an installation inside a school building yesterday involving two transformers of the same rating located in the same room. The GECs from each transformer were installed in the same raceway up to the steel. Is this an acceptable installation method? I do not know the answer, so any help is appreciated.

In the same school, another room and another transformer. The GEC was run in the slab (in a raceway) out of the room across the hall and then up the wall to steel in the room across the hall. What do you think of this installation.

Pierre

[This message has been edited by PCBelarge (edited 10-28-2003).]

Pierre Belarge
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

R
Hello Pierre, I don't know of any reason these GEC's can't be run together. They become common at the end point in any case.

In the second situation it seems like a lot of wasted energy IMHO, but there may be reasons it was done this way we don't know about. (Trying not to be to critical [Linked Image])

Roger

P
Hello Roger
I do not have a problem with the installation, I have not seen it installed in this fashion, and could not see any reference in the NEC. So where better to come for the answer than here, maybe some else has. [Linked Image]

Pierre

Pierre Belarge
B
Was it a metallic raceway? If so, I thing it would need to be bonded to both transformers.

Link Copied to Clipboard