ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 373 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#153624 10/24/03 12:33 PM
Has anyone heard anything about any States moving to adopt the 2003 International Codes yet?

Bill

Bill
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

R
Here in Utah we will be adopting the IBC, IPC, IRC, IMC, IFC, IFGC and perhaps others effective January 1 2004

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
R
At the present time in Asheville it is the architects choice of older codes or the IBC.

I understand As of Jan 1-04 we will be pretty much the same as Utah. The NEC and it's local admendments will stay in place.

Roger

P
NY State is in an unusual situation. I have been to several seminars trying to understand it, and here is BASICALLY what has happened.

The state has legislation that does not permit the state to 'adopt' other codes, it has to 'promulgate' its own code.

In July of 2002 it adopted and became effective January 1 2003 its new Fire and Prevention code. There are eight documents and those documents are now the 'law'.

The ICC is the basis for the NYS Building code and they CHANGED some of the wording so as to be able to get the legislatures to pass it into law. The electrical part also went through the same process. But may be more complicated.

For instance: if you are wiring other than a single family or two family dwelling, than you will follow the '99 NEC in its entirety.
If you are wiring a 1 or 2 family dwelling, than you have to follow the NYS Residential Building Code. Chapters 32 - 43 are for electrical.... But there are many requirements outside of those chapters that an electrician should be aware of. Once all of the inspectors are up to speed on these changes, the electrician may be in for some surprises.
Chapters 32 -43 have very much the same requirements as the NEC, but there are many changes and again be aware they are there.

The Energy Conservation and Construction Code is now being enforced and will have implication for all types of installations.

Good Luck !!!!

Pierre

Pierre Belarge
Once all of the inspectors are up to speed on these changes, the electrician may be in for some surprises.
Pierre,

I've been seeing this for the last few months and expect more to come. The NY Code just adopted is based on the 2000 I Codes, so I don't see us going to the 2003, at least anytime soon.

I look forward to your input here on these things.

[Linked Image]
Bill

Bill
P
I have spoken to a state official about the timing issue of code changes. Before this new code (2003), the state was referencing the '93 NEC code and anyone who was referencing other than that without a state variance was technically in state violation (for anyone bad in math, that is TEN years with the same electrical code!!!). We all know that most jurisdictions in NY were on the current code.
Westchester County was enforcing the 2002 NEC in the year 20002 (a state violation as we had no variance), now in 2003, we are following the NY Code, which basically means the '99 version of the NEC.
I have been told the state is not going to issue variances to their new code, so all will be legally bound to it.

We also know how slow the state moves, but I have been told they will try to stay on the same cycle as the code as far as changes go. Lets see!!

Pierre

Pierre Belarge
Before this new code (2003), the state was referencing the '93 NEC code and anyone who was referencing other than that without a state variance was technically in state violation (for anyone bad in math, that is TEN years with the same electrical code!!!). We all know that most jurisdictions in NY were on the current code.
Pierre,

I first became aware of NY referencing the '93 NEC back around January after sending an inquiry to the State. At that time I didn't know a single person (including Local Inspectors) that actually knew that. Some thought that the '96 may have been adopted some time back but weren't sure.

I'd say there was a big lack of communication somewhere. Hopefully we will be able to help with that a bit here.

Bill

Bill

Link Copied to Clipboard