ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 144 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#153545 10/18/03 10:33 PM
R
Ryan_J Offline OP
What do you use to accomplish the requiremnet for emergancy lighting on the exterior of a building?

Does you city/state require this?

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#153546 10/19/03 05:54 AM
I
Ryan can you fill me in on the wording of this requirement?

This seems to be a recent change that is being enforced in both MA and RI.

Typically we install one or two remote weather proof battery powered lights over the exit doors of commercial space if there is not a generator for the building.

Did a parking garage recently and the entire top deck had emergency lighting by weather proof EBUs.

I am wondering when we will be forced to do the same in regular parking lots?

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#153547 10/19/03 10:18 AM
R
Ryan_J Offline OP
The requirement for emegrgancy lights (and exit signs) kick in once two exits are required from a space. This is dependant upon occupant load. Occupant load is established by the type of building or space (use and occupancy) and the square footage of the space.

From the 2000 IBC, here are the spaces with only one exit required:Assembly, business,educational, factory, mercantile and utility uses: 50 occupants. High hazard occupancies: 3 occupants (Very rare). Institutional (hospitals/jails and some assisted living)and residential (hotel/motel and some assisted living BUT NOT HOUSES): 10 occupants. Storage: 30 occupants.

Occupant load is additive as you travel towards the ultimate objective: the public way (street). Once two exits are require from a space, the corridor will need two exits, then the rest of the building and so on.

In a nut shell, if your building needs two exits (and most do) you need to provide emergancy lighting ALL THE WAY TO THE STREET!!!

I have heard that many areas don't enforce this. I'm not sure if a local ordinance trumps it or it is just not known or not enforced, but it is a HUGE cchange to those of us from ICBO land.

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
#153548 10/20/03 03:04 PM
Ryan: At the minute, I cannot give you a date or a reference, as the Fire Sub-Code officials have the "placement" responsibility for exits & em ltg.

"Two heads" has been enforced (comm) for quite a few years, and the install is either Exterior (3R) EBU's, or remote heads.

I'll hunt for ref. & date Tuesday

John

John
#153549 10/20/03 03:42 PM
T
Here in my neck of the woods( just north of Houston) I personally have never installed an exterior light on the emergency system. Nor have I seen any drawings calling out for the exterior lights to be on an emergency circuit.
I have heard that many areas don't enforce this
I guess I live in one of those areas. [Linked Image]

Donnie
#153550 10/21/03 08:19 PM
Ryan:
A quick sidenote:

A large strip mall in this area, about 3 years old has exit signs outside!!

The grade level facing the highway has an "overhang" that is 30' deep; has a sidewalk, and is the "front" for the stores. The upper level of this overhang is the loading area for the upper level stores. At grade level, there are "EXIT" signs outside.

In other words, you exit the stores individually, are outside, and there are "exit" signs mounted on the underside of the overhang. BTW, ALL of the exit/emergency units within this center are on back-up generators.

John

John

Link Copied to Clipboard