ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 274 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
Found another strange outlet, this one made by Bryant. Rated 125V 15A or 250V 10A. you could get a NEMA 5-20 or 6-20 plug to fit it if you broke off the grounding pin. A NEMA 2-20 2 pin 20A plug is a little too big to fit.

Bob (wa2ise)
[Linked Image]

Y
I think we've seen one of these on ECN before. I've never seen one in real life. Note that the rating is the same as that of a T-slot or of most 1-15s from that era.

P
The $64,000 question: When and where would this have been used?

Y
Try as I might, I can't find the previous thread where there was a picture of one of these. Someone mentioned having found them in a facility where 120VDC equipment was manufactured. They were used for testing DC equipment, I guess.

I'd say you would have used these anywhere the voltage or frequency differed, or where for some other reason you didn't want people plugging in standard stuff.

I gather the NEMA configurations were developed in the '60s; people on ECN have said as much. Nowadays, there is a configuration for every AC voltage and class of service, but you might still have a special purpose. For example, in off-grid solar-powered homes, it is common to run low-power DC loads (cordless phone, answering machine, alarm) directly off the battery, to eliminate inverter losses. The usual practice is to use a 6-20R for 12VDC loads. Many AHJs will accept this if there are no 240V circuits in the house. 406.3(F) requires that receptacles connected to different voltages, frequency, AC or DC, be of non-interchangeable design, but does not specify anything further.

P
From yaktx:
Here is a page from a 1930 book on US residential wiring, showing two different ways of grounding a washing machine. I'm guessing the perpendicular receptacle was the 20A version rather than the one in this thread.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

P
Many AHJs will accept this if there are no 240V circuits in the house. 406.3(F) requires that receptacles connected to different voltages, frequency, AC or DC, be of non-interchangeable design, but does not specify anything further.
We have a similar situation in Britain, where it's not uncommon to find the old BS546 round-pin 2- and 5-amp (250V) plugs being used for 12 or 24V D.C. power.

I was sure that our older "code" editions contained a similar clause about not using the same type of connectors for different voltages or systems within the same installation, but I can't seem to find it at the moment. Maybe I'm getting confused with the American NEC.

D
Perhaps this was the forerunner to the polarized outlet? Since it only goes in one way....

S
Oh....

My....

God!

So they do exist!!!

In Colombia, those are used for the high-power 220 volt air conditioners, although I think they have a ground pin on them.

Link Copied to Clipboard