ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#153369 01/02/07 11:14 PM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
submitted by sixer:
Some of the stuff from my electrical collection:

Picture 1: British Columbia Telephone Co. cup & saucer. I believe this is from the 40's or 50's and was from the staff room. I found the batteries in an attic.
[Linked Image]
Picture 2: Closeup of logo on cup.
[Linked Image]
Pictures 3 & 4: Wooden doorbell from the 1920's, removed from a home in Rossland, BC. It still works!
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Pictures 5 & 6: This is from the late 1890's to early 1900's. It was removed from an attic of an old home in Rossland and was part of the service entrance. I'm not sure if this is main fuses or what, but the cover over it is made of mica.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Webmaster (edited 01-02-2007).]

Admin Offline OP
Administrator
more:
Picture 7: Old surface-mount switches from many of the old homes in the area - most were in use before I replaced them.
[Linked Image]
Picture 8: Old surface-mount receptacle & heater receptacles. The heater receptacles are 30 amp 240 volt and were removed from an old home around here.
[Linked Image]
Picture 9: Scotch electrical tape tin. >From the 50's????
[Linked Image]
Picture 10: Brass antenna jack. Removed from a building that was formerly the POCO's office. From the 20's or 30's
] [Linked Image]
Picture 11: Trail Electric business card and panel plate. Plate removed from an old panel we removed. Probably from the 40's or 50's
[Linked Image]

I
I have never seen any NEMA (I suspect?) 1-30 or 2-30 receptacles before.
Great finds.
Thanks for sharing them.

C
Wow, I have that same radio jack in my house, except mine is brown bakelite. The lettering rings are still brass. House was built in '35.

P
Picture 9: Scotch electrical tape tin. >From the 50's????
The overall design certainly looks similar to that on the boxes of 1950s/early 1960s reels of Scotch magnetic recording tape (at least as sold in Britain).

I
Same here Paul, I had reel to reel machines as a kid (hand me downs) and I remember the design of the boxes.

I had a slick Apex reel to reel with auto reverse, it would play the second side without flipping the reels.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
P
I had quite a number of reel-to-reel units passed on to me by neighbors when I was a kid in the 1970s. They were going out of fashion for most people then, so they were glad to find a home for them.

D
[Linked Image]

Now that's just interesting. Can't say I've ever seen those kind of big outlets before. [Linked Image]

Great pictures Randy!. [Linked Image]
By the looks of that fuse block, the fuses have never blown.

Y
Wow, open wire fuses! Were these common in Canada, as they were in the UK? I have read that they were used in the USA before 1900, but I certainly have never seen any. Is that real fuse wire, or did someone improvise with a piece of #14 Cu? For that matter, the wires leading in: are they #10 or #8? I guess this would have been a 120/240 single-phase service with a fused neutral, which would make it quite old indeed.

I've never seen 30A receptacles like that, but I do see them listed on page 194 of the 1936 GE Supply catalog.

Link Copied to Clipboard