ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (sabrown, Scott35), 145 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Believe it or not I actually saw 2 of these in an old building that I used to work in. If anyone is familiar with the VF Outlet Village in Reading, PA this is where they were. The VF Outlet Village is located in 2 very large buildings that were previously knitting mill buildings from the early 1900's that have since been added on to, and converted to factory outlets. The largest of the buildings is the two buildings called the "Red Building" and "Blue Building." One of the receptacles was located on second level of the Red Building (within the actual store) and the other was located in the 4th floor of the Red Building (in the warehouse level) by one of the elevators. As a collector of old receptacles, I have longed for these and it has been so long since I've seen them that I started to think maybe I was seeing things until now. The 2 at VF were Bryant duplex receptacles just like the one shown except they were not in the round cover. The one on level 2 was mounted on a support pole and had thick layers of paint on it and was eventually covered with a safety cover. The one on level 4 was mounted to a wall and had only one thin layer of paint on it.

C
Now you all got me keeping my eyes out for one of these.

Y
Cool, more sightings!

Y
Hey, something else I just found while researching this thread.

1951 NEC, Sec. 2111(1):
Receptacles connected to circuits of more than 150 volts between conductors shall be of such design that attachment-plug caps used on circuits of other voltages on the same premises cannot be inserted into them.

1953 NEC, Sec. 2123(b):
Grounding receptacles installed on circuits of less than 150 volts between conductors shall be approved for use only on potentials less than 150 volts.
(italics mine)

I guess that's the origin of the divide between parallel and tandem right there. Only for grounding receptacles. The 1951 language leaves plenty of wiggle room (e.g. you could always use a crowfoot or a twist-lock for 240V), but the 1953 NEC effectively eliminated the 5.5-15R. (Though not the non-grounding T-slot!)

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard