ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#152913 03/02/06 09:51 PM
Trumpy Offline OP
Pictures and info supplied by napervillesoundtech:

This was found in an old wiring closet in a school. It was very dusty, and had a large box of papers on top of it; hence the broken light bulb parts in the sockets. It is about 5 feet long, and has a 25 amp fuse, although a 15 amp plug and a 16 gauge power cord. The wire is 14 gauge solid white. I have not plugged this in (and I won’t), but, it seems like this is supposed to teach the differences of series/parallel or something. I assume that you would have to adjust the switches with the power off, seeing as though there is very little insulation. One switch has an entirely metal knife and a partly broken porcelain base. It seems like these parts were meant for low-voltage use, and just got stuck on here. I shudder to think of a time when this would have been part of school curriculum.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thanks Ben. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 10-21-2006).]

#152914 03/03/06 12:36 AM
Y
Ben,

I too shudder to think that this may once have been part of a school curriculum, but such parts were once common. Well into the '20s and possibly even later, knife switches were standard for service equipment, and cleat lampholders such as those shown here were in common use.

Even today, the NEC allows cleat lampholders with exposed live parts, if they are located a minimum of 8' above the floor! Needless to say, I would never install one.

And those single-pole knife switches? I visited a church in Mexico in 2001 that had those for lighting, in public areas, at customary wall-switch height! [Linked Image]

#152915 03/03/06 01:54 PM
N
Some of the switches are single pole, the "main" switch is a double, switching both the hot and the neutral. This has one of those old, non-deadfront type rubber plugs on it, which is not polarized. I agree, I wouldn't want to install one of those lampholders, either. They are also hard to find in stores, I have noticed, although I have never tried to order them from a supply company.

#152916 03/03/06 02:32 PM
S
I've bought a few from Home Depot and/or Lowes; but they only sell the plastic types.

I've seen the porcelain varieties in lamp-parts stores and independent small hardware shops too.

Knife switches, while still common, are now these little plastic things, about half the size of that. Another easily found item.

#152917 03/03/06 11:27 PM
J
Consider the possibility that this might have been used as a crude load bank for who knows what. You could use something like that to check regulation on a LVPS, for example.
Joe

#152918 03/04/06 12:47 AM
R
Quite possible it was used as a series load bank.
I use 2 x 100 watt lamps parallel in series with an appliance under test, especially for radio's, tapedecks and the like to have a limiter in case of a dead short at a faulty appliance.
I take one lamp out depending upon VA rating of appliance under test.
I like to see the porcelain fittings, a lot more durable then the plactic c%@p we get now these days.

The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.
#152919 03/04/06 03:09 PM
I shudder to think of a time when this would have been part of school curriculum.

I don't. In the era that this device would have been found in use, both adults and kids had more common sense and maturity. It would have been a very effective demonstration of the principles of current flow and what-not.

I have always been a "tactile" type. Show me a schematic, and I can work it through with some difficulty. Show me the actual device first, then I can not only read through the schematic a lot faster, I can draw one up!

Or a better example, I designed a dual-motor control with delay start for motor #2 for pipe organ blowers. I built it first, then drew out the diagram by hand after in about an hour. It would have never gotten built if I'd tried to draw it up first.

I flunked chemistry in High school for the same reason. Give me the chemicals and lab supplies and I could solve any formula. Give me the book or a list on paper, I couldn't get the formulas right to save my life! Really ticked off the teacher and my parents!

Stupid should be painful.
#152920 03/04/06 09:30 PM
J
I guess this a little off topic but concerns how people think about things. Several years ago I was sent a file named "brain.exe" You answer a series of questions and it performs an analysis. Everyone at work gave it a shot and found it to be interesting. If anyone wants to check it out, email me and I will attach it to a reply.
Joe

#152921 03/04/06 10:58 PM
N
You all bring up a good point I hadn't thought of. Assuming that you are cautiouss and do not touch any live parts, this wouldn't be that bad. I am mostly thinking of people I went to school with who would grab part of it "just to see what would happen" An electronics/electrical class can be very scary sometimes. [Linked Image]

#152922 03/05/06 05:21 PM
T
I imagine something like that being on a teacher's desk, with the students watching from some ten feet away.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard