ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (Scott35, ampherder), 263 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
P
pauluk Offline OP
Here's an interesting item found in a "Homes & Gardens" style journal.

Here we have a complete modular kitchen and bathroom unit, pre-plumbed and pre-wired, ready to slot into place in your new home and connect to water and power.

Unfortunately, this is the only picture, so we can't see what the bathroom on the other side is like, but this whole ready-to-go module could have been yours for £550 ex-works in 1964.

[Linked Image]

C
I would kind of envision modular homes built in that sort of module system, but I don't think anybody really does, at least commercially.

N
"includes two power-points" ? We have come a long way sence then.

L
"Hello? Modules-R-Us? Yes, I'd like to order one kitchen, three baths, five bedrooms, a laundry room, and the living-room/dining-room package. Oh, yes, the detached garage, too."

Larry Fine
Fine Electric Co.
fineelectricco.com
Y
Why? Cuz it's "modern", of course! How silly to even ask.

"includes two power-points" ? We have come a long way sence then.

Yeahbut...
Look at the lack of counter space. Methinks the NEC would require only 3 receptacles there even now (none required over the sink or cooktop).

I love to look at stuff like this, which is not to say I would want to cook with it. I've seen a 30" unit from the '50s, with 2-element cooktop, super-dinky sink, and fridge below. Not very practical, but it could enable one to boast of having the Swiss Army Knife of major appliances! [Linked Image]

P
pauluk Offline OP
"includes two power-points"

Try as I might, I can only see one. The unit to the right of the stove is the traditional British "cooker control unit," with an isolator for the stove and an integral receptacle, something like this .

But where is the second outlet?

C
In all seriousness Paul, I believe it's probably behind the fridge.

P
pauluk Offline OP
Ah, I hadn't thought of that. You're probably right.

I have a townhouse here, that when I moved in, the kitchen had 4 socket-outlets, 2 of which were on the Range, but due to the way the range had been built into the window-sill, you couldn't use either. [Linked Image]
The other was for the Fridge.
Things have changed a lot here since though, the whole place only had 8 socket-outlets (all singles), now it boasts new lighting (Down-lights) and about 25 socket-outlets and a new switch-board.
This place was built in the 1960's and it's plain to see how loadings in Domestic places have changed even in that period of time.

T
4??? That's ridiculously much! [Linked Image]
We had two when we moved in, one of which was occupied by the refrigerator!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard