ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 453 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#15291 10/12/02 11:01 PM
Cindy,

i have lots of pictures of installations not to code.
You've been holding out on us?

[Linked Image]
Bill

Bill
#15292 10/12/02 11:16 PM
B
Get the one that meets your expectations at this time for your budget... figure it's going to be your "learner" digi-cam.

Suggest a model that will use non-rechargeable AA batteries like discount-store alkalines, but also Eveready L91 lithiums. "CompactFlash Card" memory modules seem very popular, competitively priced and well supported to the west, at least.

Get the one that meets your expectations at this time for your budget... figure it's going to be your "learner" digi-cam.

Suggest a model that will use non-rechargeable AA batteries like discount-store alkalines, but also Eveready L91 lithiums. "CompactFlash Card" memory modules seem very popular, competitively priced and well supported to the west, at least.

In its own right, an end to drugstore trips is almost manna from heaven.

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 10-12-2002).]

#15293 10/12/02 11:30 PM
Trumpy Offline OP
Even when I finally get this Dcamera,
how do I download images to accompany a ECN
posting?.
I need help from those that have done this
before!.

#15294 10/12/02 11:36 PM
N
Just send them via e-mail with attachment to photos @ electrical-contractor.net. Bill or the webmaster post them in a day or so. They do good work.

ed
#15295 10/17/02 11:23 PM
Broom Pusher and
Adding some info to the thread;

My Digital Camera is a Kodak DC3400 and it works Beet-chun!

Nerd info:
  • 2.0 Megapixel maximum resolution,
  • 2X optical zoom,
  • 3X Digital zoom,
  • Lens focal length = 38mm to 76 mm - equivalent to 35 mm,
  • Focusing range = 0.5 m to infinity,
  • Real-image optical viewfinder,
  • Uses COMPACTFLASH cards,
  • File transfer via either USB orRS232 Serial ports,
  • Video Out NTSC/PAL,
  • Software for Win 9x, NT / 2000 or Mac machines,
  • Very rugged and reliable

The current Flash card I use is 32 MB, and will hold 60+ "Full Sized .JPGs" (Highest Resolution and Pixel Depth). This image size would be 1760 x 1168 pixels.

Tweeked down, at 1760 x 1168 using a lower pixel depth, I can get 76 images per 32 MB Flash.

Tweeked to the extremes, I can get close to 350 images - settings at 960 x 520 and lowest pixel depth.

The Camera is the first step in the "Image Posting" process. You will need some type of Image Editing Software for cropping, resizing to 640 x 480 [around this size] and to compress the .jpg properly. Ask a few users for their pros and cons, or ask here.

Lastly, unless you pay someone for Internet Hosting, you will need to submit the photos for posting. As mentioned, You can contact Bill or submit to the Webster's address.
Alternately, you could contact one of the site's moderators.

Good luck!

Scott S.E.T.

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#15296 10/17/02 11:36 PM
Allow me to add:

Editting Software:

Adobe Photoshop (albeit expensive, around $100) is the best out there, and there are also alot of decent clones. MSPaint (unless you have Bjarney's sense of humor) is kind of out, and many others range in between.

I use Adobe Photoshop 5.0, an older version but good.

As far as hosting:

Your internet service provider (like aol.com or stargate.net, etc.) that you use to access the Net may provide a package to upgrade your account for $5 or so a month for several MB of web space, usually 5 to 20MB. If they offer a package for web hosting (like for a webpage with no ads) then you're set!

I pay stargate.net an extra $5 a month for the privilage of a small website ( http://www.fat-headed-monster.com ) and the ability to post pix on ECN.

It's worth it!

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 10-17-2002).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#15297 10/18/02 08:33 AM
T
My ISP (SBC) gives 15mb of free website.Plenty for uploading a picture or two,which is all I use the site for.The installation software for my camera(Fuji) included FinePix Viewer and Adobe Activeshare.I can resize the photos with FinePix for uploading.The Active share wont resize but it has a direct email link,so no searching files looking for attachments:just choose a pic(s)thumbnail and send.

Long way of saying compare the included software as well as the cameras,since as Virgil mentioned,the editing software can get expensive.

[This message has been edited by txsparky (edited 10-18-2002).]

Donnie
#15298 11/04/02 02:22 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Thanks for all of your comments, people, but I think that I am more confused now, with all this talk of MB's, Digital Zoom, megapixels?
AArrrggghhh!,
Someone please help.

#15299 11/04/02 05:35 PM
C
C-H Offline
>Thanks for all of your comments, people,
>but I think that I am more confused now,
>with all this talk of MB's, Digital Zoom,
>megapixels?

Megapixels is the resolution, i.e. how many little "dots" the image is divided into. The more megapixels the finer details can you see. However, computer screens have rather big "dots" and any digital camera is beyond the capacity of the screen. Thus, to post pictures on the ECN, you can use any camera. If you want to replace your ordinary camera with a digital one, you may want one with high resolution.

MB's - how many pictures you can get into the camera before it's full.

Digital zoom - the camera "zooms" by only showing the central part of the picture. (Imagine having a huge computer screen and only looking at the central part. Sure, the tiny ant in the middle is now very big, but it consist of very few pixels.)

[This message has been edited by C-H (edited 11-04-2002).]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard