ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#152713 12/20/05 02:05 AM
The island is served by So. California Edison, with a generating plant on the island. I believe there is not a cable link to the mainland.

They have had a few whole-island outages in the past.

Water usage is, oddly enough, a big issue out there. Fresh water is scarce, so all public buildings and some (most?) homes have separate salt-water systems for toilets!

Stupid should be painful.
#152714 12/20/05 02:51 AM
H
Call me crazy (or really well sighted) for pointing this out, in pic 8, farthest to the right, is that an old BUSS cartridge fuse? I see a fair few of them in there between the 2 posts.

Cliff
#152715 12/20/05 08:24 AM
N
Waxed cotton cord was the usual material for cable lacing. Usually some kind of fungicidal wax, at least in military/telco gear.

If you want to practice the skill, or restore older gear, dental floss is a good, easily available substitute. Instructions in any old edition of the ARRL handbook or other old electronics books.

#152716 11/19/06 04:49 PM
Bumped due to the "Great Xenon Power Supply Caper" thread.. [Linked Image]

#152717 11/19/06 05:23 PM
K
I used to teach my students how to lace using waxed cotton. It sorts the men out from the boys, shows who has the temprament to do a neat job. Several used to give up in the first two weeks becouse of it [Linked Image] those who stuck with it were always a higher caliber student.

I myself was trained by old brittish post office engineers so everything had to be exact. It makes fault finding so much easier when the cable it neat and tidy

Kenny

der Großvater
#152718 11/21/06 12:07 AM
A
Great photos and descriptions - thanks for sharing them!

This page has some info about the projectionist's work in theaters of that era: http://www.film-center.com/gb2.html

#152719 11/21/06 01:15 AM
Albert: First off, welcome to ECN!!

And thank you for the compliment and the link!

I got my start in the business of projection and projection engineering in Tucson, Az. back in 1982. I was working at the Air Force Base theatre, and had to handle most aspects of repairs and upkeep as well as run the films. (Army-Air Force Exchange Service, or AAFES) had only one engineer for the entire Western United States.

And film projectors are law-abiding citizens of a fellow named Murphy, and would ALWAYS fail with a full house on a Friday or Saturday night. So one has to be saavy to keep the show on no matter what. [Linked Image]

You'll find many helpful people here at ECN, on any number of topics, so feel free to browse and join in anytime!

#152720 11/21/06 08:50 AM
T
A former class mate of mine came to Vienna some time in the 80s and the first place he worked at still had arc projection lamps! He says it was the last theatre in Vienna to switch over to Xenon lamps.

#152721 11/21/06 11:09 AM
M
Albert: Welcome to ECN, and thanks for the link you posted. That sure brings back some memories for me! I used to work as a theater projectionist, and trained others to do this work. One of the hardest things I ever attempted was to teach them to draw the carbons apart to extinguish the arc BEFORE opening the arc switch on the projector - the switch sparks and arcs so much less that way [Linked Image](read "longer switch life"). I left the business just before the advent of xenon lamps and platter systems, so I spent a great deal of time trimming carbons, pre-cooking hundreds or thousands of them in the lamphouses just prior to use, changing brushes in the generators, testing and replacing amplifier tubes, performing mechanical maintenance on two glorious vintage Brenkert projectors with "Enarc" lamps, and other tasks far too numerous to mention.

In many ways, I really miss those days [Linked Image].

Mike (mamills)

#152722 11/30/06 11:00 AM
P
A lot of careful design and construction went into these old units. [Linked Image]

I used to teach my students how to lace using waxed cotton. {.....} I myself was trained by old brittish post office engineers so everything had to be exact.
I don't know about these days, but how to lace-up a wiring loom with waxed cotton was still on the PO/BT training schedule in the mid-1980s.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard