ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
N
As costly as the phase converter will be, it would most likely be cheaper than replacing the motors and controls on an existing machine. The new service will be close to the same either way you go.
I would suggest a 25% growth factor for this customer in figuring the new service.
As his business grows he wii be adding equipment. Depending on his plans, you might ask him to consider a step-up transformer. I believe a 120/240v 1 phase to 480/277 3 phase is available. Might even be less expensive overall.
Good luck.

[This message has been edited by nesparky (edited 10-12-2002).]

ed
A
Single phase motors are not an option. This unit only comes in 240v 3ph or 480v 3ph.

The shop is only about 1000 sq/ft. When we wired it along with his house, he said he MIGHT have a table saw, a miter saw and an air compressor in it. I said lets put 200 amps on it just in case.

Now he has gotten into doing custom mouldings, like reproductions of 100 year old crown and casings. This was not his bag when the shop was built. Live and learn.

E
Have you considered a variable frequency drive (VFD)?

Some of the newer VFDs will give a three phase output from a single phase input, and can operate multiple motors.

By the way, there is no such thing as a single phase to three phase "transformer".

Ed

[This message has been edited by electric-ed (edited 10-13-2002).]

S
nesparky's got a point arseegee,
would'nt it be more economical to rip out said motors?
myself, i've refered situations like this to motor shops with fair results..... [Linked Image]

ed,
got link?
i'd like to read up on that aspect of a VFD.

C
I thought about this one for awhile...what about using a single pahse motor with a pulley and belt to spin the shaft of an old 3 phase motor therby generating a 3 phase voltage on your leads. HAHA, thers got to be some farmer out there thats already tried this.

B
An engine-generator set in a noise-controlled enclosure?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard