ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 273 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#15235 10/10/02 09:40 PM
N
north Offline OP
what tips does anyone have for hireing good help.I thought I was a good people reader until I started hireing help. I am 1 for 10
so far.Very discouraging

#15236 10/10/02 10:09 PM
B
I'm not sure how much help this will be but...
First, find out what laws in your area (federal, state, & local) apply. There are certain questions that are illegal to ask (family plans, sexual orientation, religious affiliation, etc unless the job content and the laws permit asking) that can land you in deep trouble real quick. In fact, I know of one particular boss of mine that hired a person he knew would be troublesom simply because he had asked some of the no-no questions. He was advised to either hire her or get ready for a lawsuit just for asking what seemed to him to be some reasonable questions.

Second, even if you haven't had the need to do so in the past, you might consider a pre-employment drug screening if it's allowable under your laws. You'd be amazed at how many people won't pass the test and you're better off knowing that before they're on the payroll.

Next, one of the things that makes a good employee is finding one who buys into the mission of your business. Ask questions specific questions about the candidate's approach to delivering on the mission - what's their interpretation of their role or contribution? What kind of goals (both short term and long term) within the context of this potential employment?

Also, references, references, references and referrals, referrals, referrals. Put the word out to supply houses, at your church, tech school, etc., that you're interested in finding high-caliber employees with specific skills. If someone knows of a person with exceptional skills or who has done a great job, take the name of the person and then ask to see the job.

(At the same time, I'd love to plug mentoring and apprenticeship opportunities though I know you're not in this to babysit. The younger generation may be generally book-smart but many lack field experience.)

#15237 10/10/02 10:30 PM
E
I just hired a couple more guys and so far I've been pleased. All I can say is don't just hire the first person that walks in the door. I put an ad in the newspaper on Sunday and had about 60 calls on Monday. Most of the callers I could disqualify over the phone, 5 of them I gave interviews. I hired #5 and a month later I hired his brother who was one of the callers I talked to and had on a maybe list.

I also agree that you need to check up on references. I called the last employer on the guy I hired just to check out why the guy needed a job. A background check isn't a bad idea, you can get one done over the internet for about $50.

#15238 10/10/02 10:32 PM
N
north Offline OP
Thank you for your advice bugaboobren..
Hey this is totally unrelated but what the h does bugaboobren stand for? I have a feeling there is a long story behind this one...

#15239 10/10/02 10:55 PM
B
You're welcome. Also, the 'approved' way to ask the question of whether the last employer and the candidate are still on good terms is: "Is this person eligible for rehire?" A 'No' response might be a limited glimpse into problem areas but unfortunately they or you may be treading in illegal waters if you ask for specifics beyond that.

As for BuggabooBren... I'm Bren. I BUG for a living, in fact, keeping track of cost, schedule, scope of work, change control, documentation, etc, as a project controls analyst. I also happened to like Buggaboo ski gloves when I used to downhill ski.

[This message has been edited by BuggabooBren (edited 10-10-2002).]

#15240 10/12/02 05:09 PM
T
North, the best way to find good people is through a recomendation from a trusted freind, employee or someone in buisness for themselves. When times are good the only people you will likley find from ads in the paper are deadbeats. All the good ones are working. Use your natural resourses like buisness associates etc. you'll have better luck.

[This message has been edited by tsolanto (edited 10-12-2002).]

Link Copied to Clipboard