ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
This is a picture of the switchboard & meter panel that was recently removed from my sisters house in Adelaide, South Australia. It was installed in the mid-1950s'. This board was mounted in the laundry at the rear of the property.

The meter on the left was used for measuring the power used for the house (rated 10-40 amps) & the meter on the right is for the hot water service (5-20 amps).

I have no idea where the cable on the left goes to, it's a length of 2.5 mm2 TPS cable for a power circuit of some description.

Under the left meter is the main switch, two fuses (the one on left is power-15 amps & the right one is lights -10 amps). The little box is for the neutral link.

The fuse in the centre along with the round switch underneath is for the hot water service.

On the end is a switch which controls the 10 amp power outlet below it.

The whole assembly has been removed & replaced with a 17 position DIN rail switchboard with RCD protection at the front of the property with the meters.

Darren Carroll
Alice Springs, NT, Australia
[Linked Image]

Now there's the sort of Switch-board/Metering panel that I'm used to seeing.
Thanks for submitting the picture, Darren!.
Installing a switchboard in the Laundry is something that you don't see a lot of down in this part of the world these days.
Interesting to note that while the board has Porcelain Rewireable fuses on it, there is a plug-in type MCB sitting on the ledge in front of the board.
Bit of a rough job on installing that 2.5, it's not even covered with capping. [Linked Image]

It must of been fairly common place ecspecially in Adelaide as a few other houses I have been to have the switchboard in the laundry. As for the piece of 2.5, that has all been removed along with all the equipment in the photo. I have since found out that this cable run to a double power outlet that was screwed onto the wall just out of the picture. Even a piece of flexible conduit would of been a good idea on this cable to prevent mechanical damage.

P
I've always said about Ireland that things are similar enough to England to feel comfortably familiar, yet different enough that you know you're in another country.

I get the same sort of feeling looking at this panel. It's similar enough to some old British switchgear that it seems very familiar, yet not quite.... If you see what I mean. [Linked Image]

It sort of makes me wonder how you work on a board that is installed like this.
I'm assuming that it has hinges on the right-hand side of the Phenolic panel.
But with that meter in the way, I doubt you'd be able to open the panel very far.

The panel was secured by two screws (one either side of the lower part of the board). Some of these boards were made from a material called 'Zelemite' which was a fire retardant, asbestos based product. No idea if it was used outside of Australia.

Yes Darren,
We had Zelemite here for years, in fact I've heard that at one time it was actually manufactured here.
When I first started my time as a sparkie, we were warned not to breathe in the dust while drilling it for fuses and meters and the like. [Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard