ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
This was installed 50 years ago. Which should qualify for the nostalgia forum. 100A service, which was huge back then. The service is underground feed. My father told me that the POCO didn't feed 250V to houses then, but he convinced them to let us have 250V, as we had an electric range that needed it. The original kilowatt meter had two disks, and was intended for
120V/208V 2 phase. It got replaced 15 years ago.

The box below has a pair of 100A fuses inside. The fuses are fitted into a removable module that is plugged into a special socket inside that box. So you don't have to mess with hot conductors when changing a fuse. It's the service equipment. It feeds a thick BX cable that has 3 #2 wires inside. Which in turn feeds a breaker panel located in a wall in the center of the basement.

- wa2ise
[Linked Image]

Wa2ise,
Is that a drip-tray under that Meter enclosure?.

W
Is that a drip-tray under that Meter enclosure?

Yes. I wanted to divert the occasional water drips away from the fuse box below. It rarely drips water, but I just wanted to avoid rust damage. I don't think the POCO would want me to mess around inside the meter enclosure, and I don't have PPE that I'd think one should have to mess around conductors with no current limiting. Besides, what could I do in there if I did go in? Squirt caulking in the conduit? That might not do the wires any good...

Link Copied to Clipboard