ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 261 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Scott35 Online Happy OP
Broom Pusher and
Square D "All-In-One" Panelboard

Here's an Antique recently upgraded from a Residential Project, as part of a Service Upgrade.

The complete package is named "All-In-One", as it contains a Disconnecting Means,
The Fusible Bus Kit, and space for upto Three (3) Despard Receptacles - all within the same
Enclosure / Cover.

Labeled as the "All-In-One" by Square D Company - Western Division.
1320 E. 16th Street. Los Angeles.
Catalog No.: ADF 334 Series II.
Rated: 125-250 V. AC. Amps: 30 Poles: 3 (they count the Grounded Conductor too).

U.L. Label: "Inspected Service Equipment". Form 30. Issue A 227

Below is a compiled page of images:

[Linked Image]

Image #1: Square D "All-In-One" Panelboard Items

Details of Images:

#1: Bus Kit overview - notice the White Switch at the top of the Kit - it's the Disconnect.

#2: Close-Up of the Bus Kit.

#3: Panelboard Cover - Close-Up; Notice the slotted areas on the cover. Slot at upper left is where the Despard Receptacles are located (existing wise, only one Receptacle installed).
Slot at center right is for Disconnect Switch (the White Switch at the top of the Bus Kit).

#4: Panelboard Cover overview.

#5: Despard Receptacle, Mounting Bracket and Wiring (same type as Knob and tube).

#6: Close-Up of Despard Receptacle and Mounting Bracket.

#7: Labels on Panelboard Cover's Door.

I plan to clean these things up as much as possible, plus remove all the layers of Paint (if possible without messing things up worse!), so when this is done I will re-post a few images.

Anyone ever run across one of these - or even install one new?
Seems to be circa 1920-1940, prior to the usage of the "Widespread" Square D Multi Breakers, the type A1A's, and eventually the XO line of Residential Equipment.

Also brought home some very old Square D 2 Pole Fusible EXO Switches - 30 Amps Max., which use the same Edison Base Fuses.
Forgot to get pic's of these really neat looking Square D "Mini Multi Breaker Service panels". Things are in excellent shape! Size of the complete Panelboard is about 5" x 5" x 2" deep!

Scott35

Posted 04/22/2004

Orig. File: (WS6) F:\E_Lessons\ECN_Upload\Antique_Im\Upld\SQDAI1_01J.JPG

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
M
Scott: I really enjoy seeing vintage items such as this!! About 20 years ago, I was given an enormous version of this same type of panel (after a fire gutted most of an old dance hall in which it was installed) - I wish I had a digital camera so that I could send in a pic. This behemoth was rated at 100 amps. 120/240 volts, and had basically four sections - a main section, complete with a 2 pole 100 amp "rotor" style main switch [Linked Image] with standard 100a fuses, behind a little access door in the panel cover, plus THREE groups of six plug fuses each (each with it's own little panel door), plus the space to mount three despard devices on a pair of 5" long studs attached to the back of the can (allowing them to protrude through knockouts in the cover). There were old pieces of No. 6AWG solid wire (with rubber/fabric insulation) connecting the line terminals of the fuse sections to the load terminals of the 100 amp main fuses - triple lugged, of course [Linked Image]. The can for this monster was about 20" wide x 36" high!

No manufacturer markings on this thing whatsoever. This must have been a state-of-the-art piece of equipment in its day.

Mike (mamills)

One question: Were you able to retrieve the can that held this unit? In my part of the world, the can is usually left in place and fitted with a solid steel cover plate for use as a J-box to a new panel. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by mamills (edited 04-22-2004).]

M
Scott: BTW, I also have a smaller version of the Square D switch you show. It consists of the same two pole rotor switch, and a plug fuse for each pole. It's a flush mount enclosure, with a single door that exposes the entire insides (switch, fuses, and wiring).

Ironically, it even seems to be painted the same color as yours! [Linked Image]

Mike (mamills)

Scott.... I pulled one of these about a year ago from a house in Santa Ana.... I think its probably from the late 20's into the 30's.. You're example is in a lot better shape than the on I have [Linked Image] Plus I had to leave the can & use as a splice box!

-Randy

Scott35 Online Happy OP
Broom Pusher and
Hello Mike and Randy! Thanks for replying!

We also left the Can and used as a Junction Box - plus fitted it with a nicely made custome sheet metal cover.

Would have been a major task to remove it, not to mention the level of difficulty required to mess with the existing Circuits!

I never had seen one of these Animals before, so brought it home to post at ECN.

Cleaning it up is sure to be a chore - as the Dead Front Cover has like 15 layers of Paint on it!
[Linked Image]

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
Scott...

Go to Home Depots paint section, they have some aerosol stripper that'll literally "melt" the old paint off that cover... I use it when I come across old brass face plates with 100 years of paint coated on them... they clean up really nice! (Wear gloves with this stuff though... It's borderline caustic!)
The reason I pulled the one I have is because the disconnect switch wasn't functional for some reason & someone had tried to jumper past it & the whole thing was pretty much a mess.... The big whoppin 3 circuits he had are now under the safe control of a Siemens 100A 240V meter main... No more 30A outlet circuts! [Linked Image]

-Randy

PS.. This was the job I "learned" about Santa Ana's overhead/underground panel requirement! [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

S
What were the Despard recptacles in palce for, and how were they tied into the panel? I dont see a connection point for them on the buss [Linked Image]

Sparked...
As this looks just like the one I pulled, The Despard recept assembly attached to a bracket, fastened to the panel can itself & the panel cover just went over the front..
The one I came across was in a laundry room. & the washer & dryer were connected there.. one of the fuse sockets were wired to feed the despard recepts..

Scott, was this in a laundry room also?

-Randy

I was going through some old pics at the same time as getting "nostalgic" on here. Noticed something.

My panel was built next door to your panel according to the addresses...

"1316-1362 E. 16th St, LA CA"

[Linked Image from electrical-photos.com]

G
That must be a more trusting time. The meter is on the load side of the service disconnect and the lugs on the SE appear to be accessible to the user.

Greg Fretwell
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard