ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#152204 04/09/04 06:51 PM
Here's some more cool stuff I found in the same house as the Old Fuse Box.

Lostazhell (Randy)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 04-09-2004).]

#152205 04/27/04 10:50 AM
D
Those porcelain switches remind me of the snap switches I took out of my house when I remodeled...my last electrical project with my Dad.

I was fishing a new line to the lamp over the side door, and was wiggling the wire, and waiting for Dad to tell me if it was moving.

Well, I gues my efforts and 65+ years were too much - the side of the switch fractured, separating a flake of porcelain and the terminal, and my hand slid down and OUCH! Another trip to the ER...

Still have the scar. One of the guys on the department laughed at me, until I reminded him that "primitive" people used to use obsidian for knife blades.

[This message has been edited by DougW (edited 04-27-2004).]

#152206 04/27/04 12:18 PM
S
I love surface mount outlets.

I have a couple of the Levitons on the right in brown, a few Eagles (modern-day manufacture) and a Gem brand one also all in brown.

The old Levitons are probably the best when it comes to those surface-mount sockets becasue they have two extra terminals for "feed thru".

I also have a round Eagle-brand porcelain surface outlets -- with contacts for round-pin Europlugs and flat-pin American plugs. Ollldd thing. [Linked Image]

What brand is the big one on the left and what happened to the other case-screw?

Wow. I can't believe I'm actually paying Leviton a compliment! [Linked Image]

Surface-mount plastic receptacles (Eagle) are also used as power sources on my workbench. WHOO HOO!!!

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 04-29-2004).]

#152207 05/01/04 12:19 PM
C
Looks like a Pass&Seymour.

#152208 05/01/04 04:51 PM
Sven,
Classicsat has it right, P&S "Surfex" The screw you speak of was missing when I found this guy... I used to have some old Leviton surface mount recepts & switched from the same era... I think my garage swallowed them [Linked Image]

The pushbutton switches are still in pretty good shape as well, for being over 100 years old! The single 4 slot recepts I think were original from when the house was built, they were by far, the most worn out things in that place.. (cords taped to the wall to keep them in the recepts! [Linked Image] ) The duplex 4 slot is one I haven't ever come across before.. Mfg by "Hoosick"?

-Randy

#152209 05/03/04 10:50 AM
S
Lostazhell wrote:

The single 4 slot recepts I think were original from when the house was built, they were by far, the most worn out things in that place.. (cords taped to the wall to keep them in the recepts! )

Geeez....are people that lazy? [Linked Image] I also once read about tricks where they tell you to bend the plug pins a little outward or inward to help make contact and keep the plug in the socket.

I guess in some places it's just not possible to change the wall socket (such as when you're staying in a rented room at a hotel or something).

Hey...let me know if you're ever planning on cleaning out your garage!! [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 05-03-2004).]

#152210 05/03/04 12:14 PM
Sven,
I see the laziness thing constantly! (See "Ceiling fan running on Tstat wire" in the photo/discussion forum)
Every outlet in that house seemed to have a power strip stuck in it... The P&S surface mount recept was actually wired with something resembling early romex, running under a window behind some mitered out wood molding.. Full entertainment center running there... The other 2 surface mounts were zip-cord fed off other recepts..
I remember, the power strips plugged into the single recepts with a "cheater" were mostly running small things (thankfully) table lamps, clock, radio, etc... & maybe an occaisional vacuum...
Her bathroom didn't have an outlet... There was a keyless on the ceiling with a built in recept.. She had an extension cord, (looked like it'd been there since the 50's) coming from the ceiling (18 awg) for a hair dryer... [Linked Image]

-Randy

#152211 10/28/06 12:49 PM
D
Holy kripes! What in the heck ever plugged into these style receptacles????

[Linked Image]

I can only wonder how old they are....anyone know?

#152212 10/28/06 04:20 PM
R
I have only seen one of those 4-pronger receptacles once, but actually it was part of an ANCIENT electric parabolic heater. the cord was standard HPN heater cord with a regular cap on it but the female end was one of those 4-pronger ends, and fit right on the back of this heater using the tandem slots. you could also plug in a standard parralell blade plug into that same cord end.. Bizarre I thought.
A.D

#152213 10/28/06 07:16 PM
Dawg,
Those are the precursor to the "T-Slots" that you've been inquiring about... If you look at it, realize that only 2 of the 4 slots were utilized at one time. a NEMA 1-15 plug would fit vertically, and a 2-15 horizontally.. If I remember right, their's continuity between the top & right slot, then the bottom and left. It would be trippy if they had designed these to output 2 separate voltages from one outlet point, but these all just had 2 terminal screws. These came from an old house I rewired (circa. 1900) in Compton, CA.

This Fuse Box came from the same house as well [Linked Image]

Randy

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard