ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 264 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
[Linked Image]
I found this book in my 81 year-old Dad's bookcase last weekend. His original barn burned in 1952(no electricity, just lanterns) and he built and wired a new one soon after. He must have used this book because there are several notations written in the margins. He wired the new barn in Greenfield and used light fixtures that accepted a quart Mason jar for a globe. The barn is framed with native walnut and poplar that he harvested from the woods on the farm and hauled to the sawmill. The barn is still in use today with very few modifications.

- Fred

I
Cool

Is there anything that at one time or another Sears did not sell? [Linked Image]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
S
I have to say I really enjoy this forum. I am not quite old enough to remember a lot of the things posted here but I am now finding a lot of them on the service calls I make. It is cool to know some of the history of them. Hard to fathom some of the installations given today's demands on the electric system. Thanks again and keep posting and I will keep looking.

R
I wonder if Creighton had a hand in the authorship!?

P
Excellent! I love finding old books such as this.

Apart from being a fascinating read, in years to come they'll provide an interesting insight into historical aspects of electricity in the home.

P.S. Any chance of posting a few scans of anything inside that looks particularly interesting?

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 08-27-2003).]

C
They are missing a wire on those poles.
There is usually a fourth for the yard lights. I can probably show pictures of our farm wiring, done in '52, although it is getting long in the tooth, and redone somewhat.

B
That book reminded me of old times. Wards sold a very similar book that I read in high school. Those 2 places did sell almost everything. I'm getting my late mom's house ready to sell and noticed it has a Power Craft (Wards) subpanel in the basement. That from the mid 70's

Link Copied to Clipboard