ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 400 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Bjarney, It's a 6-20, right?...S

B
electure, I’m missing your question. The two-blade devices I referred to are 2-20.
The three-bladed device are NEMA 10-20 and up. These are officially {by the NEMA WD6-1997 standard} "non-grounding" devices.

Sven’s second-to-the-last picture looks like a NEMA 6-20 and the last looks like a 6-15. These are officially "grounding" devices.

Bjarney,
My "boobit".
I didn't see that the diagram didn't include the u-ground...S

B
el—

I hear they’re planning for 110% all-plastic air conditioners and heaters..

—Bjarn

H
I have one of those, pulled it from a soon-to-be-demolished house back in Lehigh Acres, FL. was found installed with 14/2 romex.

Cliff
Cat Servant
I haven't seen one of those three-place receptacles for almost two years, now! BTW, triple switches were also made.
The wider, or 'polarised' blade was first introduced in the '30's, I believe, but other affairs kep it from becoming universal until the early '50's. Even then, many appliances had their shells grounded to the neutral...something that didn't end until the early '60's, with the general acceptance of three-prong receptacles.

What did the code say about non-NEMA patterns? Nothing- there were no NEMA standard patterns until the early '70's, I believe. Up to then, it was common for plugs to have two widely different ratings, and be used on teo completely different systems.
Non-NEMA patterns are still in use. The RV industry uses a non-NEMA pattern for the power pedestals found in RV parks. The 3-prong range and stove receptacles are likewise non-NEMA plugs. And- surprising no one here- California has seen fir to design their own.

S
I saw triple toggle switches at Home Depot...as recently as....two days ago.

Expensive buggers they are too! [Linked Image]

S
Looks like the Japanese are still making those triplex sockets.

[Linked Image from meiko-g.co.jp]

L
So is Leviton:

[Linked Image from levitonhelpdesk.com]

[This message has been edited by Larry Fine (edited 05-27-2005).]

Larry Fine
Fine Electric Co.
fineelectricco.com
D
Any idea on when that Ivory Bryant I- style receptacle was manufactured? Is it only supposed to be used on 120 VDC applications? As far as the 20 amp/240 volts....considering that's the same pattern used nowadays except with a built in ground....usually for window air conditioners and the like....

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard