ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
[Linked Image]

Did anyone here install one of these?

Photo courtesy of Bill Wright:
Lineman Bill's Old Time Lineman's Website

Thanks Bill [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Webmaster (edited 05-12-2003).]

What on earth is that heading down into that meter base??.
Is that an early form of BX?.(hope I've got the terms right, this time). [Linked Image]

R
Trumpy, that cable is called a SE cable, and is still allowed by code. See article 338.

Have I installed any?? No, but torn out a bunch.

The size of the one in the picture would not pass today, as 100amps is the minimum for a dwelling, but way back then, a 30 amp service could be installed. I would be willing to bet that the service is just 110volts, too! Grounded? probably not. What about the disconnect? It is probably located above the kitchen door (2 fuses at most) or, God no....in the bathroom, over the tub?

At least the installers have the proper PPE, except for face shields!!!!

Rick Miell

M
I wonder of that's SE cable exiting the bottom of the meter can, headed for the Breaker (or fuse, possibly) panel?

Something doesn't click here...it's so much larger than what's coming into the can [Linked Image].

Mike (mamills)

Mike,

I'd guess that's conduit going down to a panel either in the basement or low on the inside wall. I've seen many old panels mounted low on the wall at about knee-high, sometimes lower. Not sure why, unless it was to save wire.

Bill

Bill
T
mamills:

Re: what is exiting from the bottom of the meter pan:
...it's so much larger than what's coming into the can...

The cable coming in was air-insulated, so it could become hot without a big problem. Also, a penny or two in the fuse panel would allow them to use larger cable. The dimming/flickering lights were just part of that new-fangled electric. [Linked Image]

C
guys belive it or not my home is supplied by old cable like this. but soon to be gone as soon as i get the new 200 amp service tied in. could this have been a 60 amp service at 110?i have a 60 amp 220 service at present.

Note the non-use of Safety Glasses by the lower worker about to plug the meter in!.
At least he's got his gloves on.
It almost looks like the right side of the ladder is floating in mid air!, due to the light level when the pic was taken. [Linked Image]

C
I've torn out a few 110V 60 A services, myself, to make way for an ac installation!

Lots of gas appliances in my town.

It's all about integrity.
H
That meter looks like it is installed pretty high too. Umless the guy on the bottom was real short. [Linked Image] I have seen tons of these types of services. Removed many of them myself. I once worked in a building that had 60 amp. 110 volt service for a 3 family dwelling. Each apt. only had 2 circuits at 15 amp. Not many outlets in this house though everything else was gas.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard