ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 263 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Paul,
Oh to be a kid again,
With being a Hunter,some of the best feeds I have ever cooked have come from a Frypan or
a Dutch oven, fuelled by fire.
But power cuts over here are slowly becoming a normal thing, as water dries up during the summer periods(Hydro-electric dams).
Security of supply,is not even mentioned in new supply contracts these days. [Linked Image]

U
And to our new U.K. members, do you have any memories of the 1970s power problems?

Indeed I do. Like you I was a boy - two years older than you - and looked forward to the sense of cameraderie and adventure these cuts brought [Linked Image]

If we were really lucky, it might mean a day off school!
Ah, well I had the advantage there...I boarded at school [Linked Image] It was great when the whole outfit was plunged into darkness; 120 boys 7-13yo with harrassed teachers wondering where the hell half of them were!!! Some of us had candles and tilly lamps that our parents brought for us [Linked Image]. It was all great fun - LOL trying to do prep by the light of the gas fire and about three candles in the class!! Fortunately the cooking was gas so we ate ok, but the heating hot water was oil-fired so it was cooooolish.
Can you just imagine the outrage, panic and absolute hysteria that would occur now under the same circumstances in a school!!?? [Linked Image] We all got on with it. It was exciting and different, and life just went on as best as possible, I suppose in those days we DID "just get over it/on with it" not like now.. [Linked Image]
but I remember the prices jumping from about 40 pence to 60 pence a gallon almost overnight.
I wish it would do that again!! [Linked Image] 60 pence??? Wouldn't that be nice!!
Except for the lawsuits...
Uhuh...welcome to the new millennium!

Oh to be a kid again
Amen to that my friend...

[This message has been edited by uksparky (edited 07-10-2004).]

If hindsight were foresight, we'd all be millionaires!
P
pauluk Offline OP
60 pence??? Wouldn't that be nice!!
It sure would. 81.9p per liter here at the moment. I make that £3.72 per Imperial gallon (and wasn't the change to liters just a big con so that most people would lose track of how much per gallon?).

What irked me during the fuel protests was when the government had the audacity to blame the "greedy oil companies" for high prices. Nothing to do with the 300% fuel tax then, Mr. Brown? [Linked Image]

pauluk wrote:
Glad to hear that CA is back to normal again.

When did this happen?? [Linked Image]

-Randy

A
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
but I remember the prices jumping from about 40 pence to 60 pence a gallon almost overnight.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I must be a eal old codger, less than 25p a gallon pump prices were the norm when I started to drive Oh happy days! First brand new motor £600 taxed and insured on the road. Going back into my darkened room now.

P
pauluk Offline OP
I remember turning out some of my mother's old school papers (she was a math teacher in the 1970s) and finding a problem which started with "If petrol costs 37 pence per gallon...."

I think she said it was 2/11 per gal. (or may have been 3/11) when she started driving! [Linked Image]

Alan,
Have a look at this thread: Blast from the Past

A new Bedford CA van for £475! (Probably plus purchase tax, the ad doesn't say.)

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 07-11-2004).]

A
Thanks Paul now I realy feel old!!! Seems like only yesterday when I was reading those adds for real in papers and mag's.

E
Boy, Pauluk, you're asking alot, 1974!!!
The event I remember most was gasoline shortages, so we had to buy gas on alternate days, even license plate number -->even day...... I was commuting 60 miles ea. way to school, so I would sometimes buy paint thinner to mix with the gas so I had enough to get to class. It works for '56 VW's with 6½ to 1 engine compression.
CA Energy "Crisis" of the last few years: I inspected some solar photovoltaic systems that were added to residences. The biggest problem with installers was making sure they had 600V DC rating for the array side disc.sw. The arrays routinely generate well over 300 volts, DC.

P
pauluk Offline OP
The event I remember most was gasoline shortages, so we had to buy gas on alternate days, even license plate number -->even day......
Among my collection of 45s I have a couple of (U.S.) records, one titled "Cheaper Crude or No More Food" and the other "Take Your Oil and Shove It."

No prizes for guessing what they're about or when they were recorded! [Linked Image]

W
In 1991, we went to England and visited my wife's great aunt in Shrewsbury. Thirty years after the pound's switch to decimal, she was still complaining! She said "it was the biggest con because before you could get 240 pennies to the pound and now you only got 100!"

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard