ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#151661 06/12/01 09:14 PM
K
Originally posted by sparky66wv:
[B]Go to This Page about a 100 year old bulb that has burned more or less continuously since 1901...
[B]

Hello everyone,

Although I'm not in the electrical field I do have a strong interest in researching electrical lighting history. I heard my site mentioned above so I thought I'd jump in here. I agree with the reasons mentioned above about how and why this bulb has lasted this long. So instead of eating up more space I'll just pass a link on that you may be interested in. It seems this bulb has it's very own website and quite a fan club if you read the guestbook [Linked Image]
http://www.centennialbulb.org/index.htm

Regards from BulbCollector.com

Tim Tromp
BulbCollector.com
#151662 06/12/01 10:16 PM
Kilokat,

Thanks for stopping by and sharing that with us. My Compliments on your interesting content and resource links. I put your site on my "Must Read" list as soon as I saw it. I hope that you'll come back and share with us again!

Thanks,

[Linked Image]
Bill

Bill
#151663 06/13/01 08:17 PM
S
well this is something!

there is a bulb with it's own web site !
not a bulb manufacturer,
but a singular bulb!

[Linked Image]

#151664 06/13/01 09:55 PM
D
doc Offline
ok i'm going back 30 years or so here but i can remember a salesman coming along and selling my folks these little round green ceramic like pieces that went in the light fixture and then u screwed the bulb in.These gizmos were to make the lights burn for like ten to fifteen years or something like that they may have had to buy some special bulbs from ythis guy also i'm not sure,but some of the lights did last a long time and thinking back it seems the lights were kinda dim anyone remember these

MAY THE SUN SHINE ON YOUR FACE IN THE MORNING AND YOU AWAKE WITH A SMILE
#151665 06/14/01 01:13 AM
Doc,

I remember these disc shaped things that rectified the power to DC and claimed longer life for bulbs. They were about 3mm thick and were sized for an Edison base, the ones I remember were blue, if that matters...

I think it was Popular Mechanics that I saw them in...

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#151666 06/14/01 01:04 PM
G
The disc shaped things were diodes. The cut off one half of the sine wave. You were getting half the power so the bulbs would be dimmer, create less heat and last longer. Also there was less amplitude in the vibration of the filiament, which also aided in longevity.

#151667 06/15/01 07:09 PM
I've been in communication with members of the Livermore Heritage Guild and hopefully some more technical information will be coming.

So far the persons I've corresponded with are not aware of any special power source, only that a backup has existed for many years.

Also:
I forgot to say the filament is different.... I have heard both Carbon and Carbide used. It looks like it is quite heavy when the light is on... actually it is quite fine.

Bill

Bill
I wouldn't normally raise a thread this old, but apparently this Bulb is still going strong after 118 years!

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

You can see larger images Here:

more info: https://www.centennialbulb.org/

Bill

Bill
OK, a old thread reseructed!! Darn, I saw names of members that have not been around in a while! Guess I should start looking at the dates of the posts.....smiley sad face....

John
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard