ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#15155 10/09/02 02:10 PM
F
i am bidding for a job on a newly constructed sun room to install rec. and a ceiling fan. the walls of the room are aluminum skin with styrofoam insulation in the middle. the manufacture doesn't have any info on electrical systems and just has a 1" X 1" raceway on the bottom. i don't want to use wire mold or pipe in a home so how would you do it?

#15156 10/09/02 02:26 PM
T
falcon,
Welcome to the forum.I've tried to add a fan to a sunroom such as you describe.Unless the manufacture builds a wire chase or installs a conduit it is next to impossible to do it with concealed wiring.Wire mold or exposed conduit is the only other options.

Donnie
#15157 10/09/02 03:43 PM
E
GO TO YOUR LOCAL MOBILE HOME DEAL OR MANUFACTURED HOME DEALER. THEY SELL ALL INCLUSIVE BOXES THAT INCLUDE THE OUTLET. IT WORKS WITH OUR INSPECTOR.

#15158 10/10/02 08:56 PM
H
I have seen where electricians try to run wire inside of the metal struts of the sun room. I would fail that job unless the contractor can get me a letter from the manufacture, stating that it is a listed wireway. You might be able to get it and maybe not. I have also seen some sun rooms with a built-in wireway that is listed for a wire. Check with the manufacture of the sun room and the local inspector to be sure.

#15159 10/10/02 09:27 PM
N
Sunrooms S**k...
1. Is it on a slab or raised deck?
2. Is it going to be inspected? if so run...
3. If it is a wood deck your o.k. otherwise bring in the wiremold...
I just got rid of a sunroom contractor. there are few options that are legal to perform.these rooms are very labor intense to satisfy the N.E.C. However if there is wood flooring you can pop up at each receptacle to a surface mounted box (T11 with duplex receptacle and plastic plate) doesnt look that bad. for the ceiling fixture or fan there is usually a header in the insulated sunrooms that the contractor can leave you a chanel to run your 3 wire...
Good Luck...

#15160 10/10/02 09:36 PM
falcon,

Welcome to the Forum. Just curious, are you wiring the sun room like any habitable room of the house?

I'm curious about hearing opinions on whether these rooms must be wired as any other room in the house. And why, or why not?

Bill

Bill
#15161 10/15/02 11:51 AM
W
I don't know if they are still made, or if they would help in your situation, but here goes...

When I was but a wee lad, my dad installed two ceiling fans in our house. They plugged into an outlet and had an inline switch. Our installation included a chain to form a swag.

Perhaps, as long as your sunroom can support the weight of the fan, a fan such as this would be easier to install than a hard-wired fan.

#15162 10/15/02 08:33 PM
H
Bill,

If the "sun" room has heat and can be used in all four seasons, then I would expected it to be wired as per code. It is a "habitable room." If it is only a 3 season room, then I would think that the room might not have to meet the code. It would be more like a Deck or Porch. What do you think?

#15163 10/15/02 08:38 PM
Now there's an idea...."swag" a ceiling fan!
The "orange apron" store sells fans & swag kits. (Better get a "good" hook)
Now, if you get a fan with a remote control, you don't need that pesky "in-line" switch.
Let's see.....
Fan is UL listed.
"Swag Kit" is UL Labeled. (Angelo Products)
Going to have to by one to check the directions; if it's for a "fixture" only, or is a fan mentioned.
Hook???? (Machine thread 3/8" dia)

What do you guys think?????

John

John
#15164 10/16/02 03:32 AM
Harold,
If the "sun" room has heat and can be used in all four seasons, then I would expected it to be wired as per code. It is a "habitable room." If it is only a 3 season room, then I would think that the room might not have to meet the code. It would be more like a Deck or Porch. What do you think?
I've had this question in the past where a piece of Electric Heat was added to a "sun room" and if it had to meet code as far as spacing of Receptacles etc., or could you just put in what the customer wanted.

My example was constructed on top of an existing wooden deck and there was still a door separating this room from the interior of the house. My thoughts were as follows;

For this room to be a part of the house, as per Building Code, would'nt it have to have footings below it? And since the exterior of the house has not been really penetrated (it still has an exterior-type door and insulated walls) is it really a part of the house?

Bill

Bill
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard