ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#151571 12/04/02 03:09 AM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
Thanks to Joe Goble:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I saved my grandfathers electrical books from when he was in college in 1927. I scanned one I thought was interesting to post on the website. It would be interesting to find out if he was ever a member of the IAEI. If you know of any way of finding out please let me know.

Thanks
Joe Goble

[This message has been edited by Webmaster (edited 12-04-2002).]

#151572 12/05/02 03:14 PM
P
I never tire of reading old technical books and journals. Sometimes the difference in approach shows us just how things have changed over the years, other times they show that some things never really change at all.

Isn't this quote still true, over 70 years later?
Do the work carefully, charge fair prices, and you will lay the foundation for a profitable electrical business of your own.

#151573 12/06/02 12:39 PM
M
Joe;
Thanks for sharing these pages! It's fascinating to look back into history and see where we have come from.

BTW, I'll bet the electric chair on the stage of the Hippodrome Theater must have been a real "show-stopper" [Linked Image]

Mike (mamills)

#151574 12/07/02 12:56 AM
This is great!

Is there any way you could PDF the book?

That would be very cool!

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 12-06-2002).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#151575 12/07/02 06:05 PM
I enjoy this type of thing more than you can imagine! Thanks!

#151576 12/07/02 06:50 PM
S
that's a great 1st paragraph there, my chuckle for the day, i guess some things will always stay the same !

Revived from the past, & looking for current comments! Anyone??

How many members dig into the 'old stuff'??

John
A
I have a 1926 copy of the Electricians notes. 35 lessons of varying length with illustrations. Interesting information and advice including using an umbrella upside down as a dirt collector when cutting in a ceiling box.
There is even a reference to underwriters laboratories, then located at 207 Ohio street in Chicago.
Looking at the illustrations of how to do residential wiring with knob & tube is a history lesson in itself.
alan

Alan--
If it was easy, anyone could do it.
J
Originally Posted by HotLine1

I do. I think it helps me in the field to know about old technologies and how things were done in the past. It can sometimes aid in troubleshooting. I also collect some of the neat things I rip out, and come across at garage sales and flea markets.

I have a few old books. One that I think is interesting is a single volume from "Audel's New electric Library." It from 1938 with alot of older stuff from past editions. It is the one that includes building wiring, some theory, and stuff on power distribution. It explains how to install knob and tube. I also find it interesting where it shows steps and photos on how a joint is made in high voltage lead sheathed cable. A lot of work!

Some of my books aren't even that old, I have do-it-yourself wiring books from the 50s, 60s, 70s, and there is some interesting and odd stuff in them as well.

A
Originally Posted by HotLine1

Living in an Edwardian era house it means I get to use this kind of wiring without it being out of place. The fabric wiring, wooden mounting blocks, and bakelite fittings just look nicer and don't constantly remind one of the cheap mass produced era of plastic and cost cutting we have today. The lighting circuit is largely original and probably because of the climate where I live the rubber/cloth wire is still as good as new. It's all encased in split seam steel conduit in the walls and roof space anyway in case something did happen.
While I've got a collection of ancient carbon and squirrel cage filament light bulbs the light output and colour temperature is pretty awful, so I draw the line at using them for lighting. The heat output of a 60W carbon filament bulb is quite a surprise when compared to a tungsten coiled coil filament. No wonder they didn't make light sockets out of wood back then. For those that have never seen a carbon filament lamp in operation, let's just say that the colour temperature is like when a modern bulb is operated at about 2/3 of normal supply voltage. And as for brightness they give about a third of the light output as the same wattage modern bulb. The 1920's squirrel cage tungsten filaments are somewhat better.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard