ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 331 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#15165 10/16/02 06:44 AM
S
so do we base the definition of 'habitable' on heated or foundation?
[Linked Image]
consideration for example could be unfinished cellar's, heated garages, homes on piers, homes made of hay bales.... [Linked Image]

habitable

\Hab"it*a*ble\, a. [F. habitable, L. habitbilis.] Capable of being inhabited; that may be inhabited or dwelt in; as, the habitable world. -- Hab\"it*a*ble*ness, n. -- Hab\"it*a*bly, adv.
Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

[This message has been edited by sparky (edited 10-16-2002).]

#15166 10/16/02 07:48 AM
G
Gwz Offline
Is there some areas that do not require a heating system, such as the the southern tips of some states?

I would like to know the actual ( all building codes ) definition of a habital room.

To slight on doing adequate electrical in a sun room, and then install cord and plug electric heaters into the in-adequate power source(s) seems to be a 'vicious circle'.

Why can't the ( sun room ) manufactures provide molding etc. suitable for wiring methods? (even the support of decorative wiring methods).

Appearance must be the FACTOR, not ' is it safe ' , but then see 90.1(B).

#15167 10/16/02 04:10 PM
B
GWZ,

Habitable space;
IBC/IRC 2000-"A space in abuilding for living, sleeping, eating or cooking. Bathrooms, toilet rooms, closets, halls, storage or utility spaces and similar areas are not considered habitable spaces."
UBC 1997 - "Habitable space (room) is a space in a structure for living, sleeping, eating or cooking. Bathrooms, toilet compartments,closets, halls, storage or utility space, and similar areas, are not considered habitable space."

#15168 10/16/02 06:51 PM
Bob,

I notice that the definitions contain the words "in a Building". Would my sunroom example be considered as being in the building?

Bill

Bill
#15169 10/16/02 06:53 PM
G
Gwz Offline
So, then, Sun Rooms are not habitable rooms.

Why bother to heat the Bathroom in northern States per the definition ?

#15170 10/16/02 07:59 PM
B
IRC Building- Building shall mean any one and two family dwelling or portion thereof, including townhouses, that is used, or designed or intended to be used for human habitation, for living, sleeping, cooking, eating purposes, or any combination thereof, and SHALL INCLUDE ACCESSORY STRUCTURES THERETO.
IBC and UBC - Any structure used or intended for supporting or sheltering any use or occupancy.
So under any of the codes, I would have to say that the sunroom would be a building with habitable space if it's freestanding and a part of a building with habitable space if it's attached. Anyway, that's how I read it, but I am not an expert by any means.
Also, you need to determine which code is adopted in your area and if there are any local changes to the code.
Of course, you could hang a closet rod all the way across and call it a closet, or put a toilet in it and have a wonderful view of the area while doing your business. At least it'll get the neighbors talking.
Bob

#15171 11/21/04 11:05 AM
How bout' forgetting about using Wiremold for the fan and wire it like this? https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum5/HTML/000534.html

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
#15172 11/21/04 01:54 PM
R
210.52(A) requires sunrooms to be wired same as other rooms in the dwelling

#15173 11/21/04 03:23 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
When I had my sun room installed I checked with my AHJ (county.) The split for them on wiring per NEC "room" requirements was if the room was heated by the same source as the rest of the home. In my case it was not just for that reason. Two 15kw fan forced wall heaters work just fine.

[This message has been edited by kentvw (edited 11-21-2004).]

#15174 11/21/04 07:47 PM
D
I did a lot of patio rooms and sun rooms as a teenager working for my dad. The rooms should come with vertical raceways for outlets and switches and have connecting raceways for running your wires. UL approval on the raceways used to be a big issue, but all the manufactures now have UL stickers everywhere, so you can just use #12 and 14 THHN in the raceways. If the owner is too cheap to have the manufacture supply raceways, then they are too cheap to have you install electrical.

The curved metal that is the ceiling support is not UL approved as a raceway so you have to use romex. I would use a hole saw to drill into that cavity from the UL raceway and use romex running up to the fan. I would use a pancake box mounted to the metal structure and run lags from the fan all the way into the metal stucture so that I wouldn't need a fan rated box and it gave a very solid install.

Sun Rooms are actually easier to do than Patio Rooms. Patio rooms are a bit trickier to install a fan into without penetrating the roof, but it can be done and should so you don't have to worry about leakage.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard