ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 216 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
I
ITO Offline
ITO,

Did you mean to write "Unemployment Insurance" instead of "workers comp insurance"?

You got me...oppps "Unemployment Insurance Premiums" is correct

I guess I need to condsider my own words.

[This message has been edited by ITO (edited 12-12-2006).]

101° Rx = + /_\
Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
Y
After reading some of this I can see how fortunate I am to work for an employer that supplies all our necessary, safe clothing. The training in NFPA 70-E was also supplied by my employer at no cost to me. The difference in price between cotton or some (edited) blend of materials is not a factor when it comes to safety. You can go to work in FR clothes every day and already be dressed for the average stuff you'll face. Any employer that doesn't try to follow safety rules should be fined daily for that abuse. How's that!!!

[This message has been edited by Webmaster (edited 12-12-2006).]

D
Any employer that doesn't try to follow safety rules should be fined daily for that abuse. How's that!!!

As long as the employer has the right to can you on the spot, and deny you unemployment benefits for failure, upon any instance, of you not using all protection provided to you.

Y
I agree that disciplinary action should be applied for employee violations also. Usually a day off will cure the problem.

I gotta go off now, but beleive it or not 70-E is here and we all have to adjust to it.

[This message has been edited by yanici (edited 12-12-2006).]

D
I was heading to work the other day and came upon a road crew doing some storm drain work.

As I waiting for traffic to move up to the point of the work being done, I saw this flag man holding the stop/slow sign.

Now, this chap was dressed in a bright yellow suit, wearing an blaze orange vest with reflective stripes on the vest. His ensomble also included leather gloves, a hard hat and safety glasses.

Now tell me. What's the point to this?
Is there some deadly bird do-do, that this man is going to encounter, or is this insurance companies going to far?

I think some things are being taken to extremes some times.

I
ITO Offline
Any employer that doesn't try to follow safety rules should be fined daily for that abuse. How's that!!!

As long as the employer has the right to can you on the spot, and deny you unemployment benefits for failure, upon any instance, of you not using all protection provided to you.

If that were the case I could fire 90% of my crew for not wearing safety glasses, and I preach how important that is.

How about no smoking on the jobsite, which is a safety violation? I don’t hear any whining that I don’t enforce that one, (unless the GC makes in an issue).

How about no radios on the jobsite that is a safety violation? Anyone going to whine about this?

How about that union tool list, why isn’t cotton clothes mandated as part of appropriate attire for union electricians? You have to wear the appropriate pants and shoes, why not shirts?

There is a big difference between providing protective clothing and expecting the highest paid tradesman on the job to show up appropriately attired for their chosen profession.

[This message has been edited by ITO (edited 12-12-2006).]

101° Rx = + /_\
J
How many times have we seen somebody get a cut on their hand with their gloves in their back pocket? Or debris in their eye with safety glasses on their head? Just recently we had an arc flash injury with a foreman who was working energized on 480 with the 40 cal suit next to him in the bag. I think that there is only so much an employer can do before the employee needs to be held accountable for mistakes that we all pay for.

Just like to respond to DNK's post

http://www.ckov63.com/news.php?day.20060429

There was another incident were a flag girl was killed here about 4 years ago but i cant find a link.

[This message has been edited by dougwells (edited 12-12-2006).]

L
I'm sorry to hear that your employer is issuing poly/cotton blend uniforms. That type of material makes it difficult for the unfortunate ones that find themselves in an arc flash.

The poly/blend material instead of burning away, will melt into the flesh, atleast if it were just cotton, the fabric would burn away. Really complicates things for the surgeons who have to clean up those areas.

The company I work for issues us 'FR' clothing at no charge, and it is up to our discression as electricans when to use it. I know you can order this type of clothing online for yourself. Just may be a better alternative for you instead of 'stirring the pot' on an issue where you may be vastly out-numbered.

Luke,

Luke Clarke
Electrical Planner for TVA.

F
Here is a handy little chart from a Canadian site but we follow the NFPA since they have allied with CSA.A good read for employers and employees

http://www.esao.on.ca/alert_pdfs/electrical_hazard.pdf

[This message has been edited by frank (edited 12-12-2006).]

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard