ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#151311 10/04/06 01:40 AM
P
Kinda an OSD forum topic...

When you PROPERLY dispose of a hazardous product containing lead, mercury, etc, at a site that takes this sort of waste, how do THEY get rid of it? i.e. Do they put it in sealed containers and bury it in a mountain? I know it's a trivial question, but I'd like to know, and I haven't really found any answers by googling it.

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
L
Mercury is usually recycled. There multiple companies that will take your fluoresent bulbs and reclaim, purify, and resell the mercury.

Lead, I do not know.

G
Greenpeace says we are exporting most of our heavy metal scrap to 3d world countries that do not have effective safety and environmental regulation because it can't be recycled here at a reasonable cost.
I think a lot of it simply gets dumped in the landfill. Certainly the stuff regular consumers generate like small quantities of flourecent tubes, consumer electronics and NiCad batteries end up there. Modern landfills are lined so the trash is usually fairly well sequestered.

Greg Fretwell

Link Copied to Clipboard