ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 506 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
G
My most memorable shock was 36v at 400hz.
I was working on a servo on the 06 deck of a warship, about 60-70 feet off the main deck, out on a skinny catwalk. Hot sweaty day, grounded six ways from sunday and I laid the soft part of my forearm on a terminal strip. The "jumpback factor" had me hanging on the rail, over the side, with one arm. I managed to regain my composure and get back up on the catwalk but I was sweating a little more.
These days I sum up the experience by reminding people, a GFCI may keep you from being electrocuted but if you fall off the ladder ... ;-)

Greg Fretwell
Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
P
I got nipped while working on my truck the other day. I was wiring up the trailer light relays for the towing hitch, had the switched wiring right through plus the ground on the coil, and just dabbed the wire from the other coil terminal onto the battery to check that the relay was working.

I wasn't thinking when I had the bare end of the wire in my hand as I took it off the battery and was leaning on the chassis with my arm at the same time.

O.K., the bite from the back-e.m.f. of a relay coil's field collapsing isn't going to do much harm, but it made me jump and I felt rather foolish at getting even a tiny zap from something I've known about since I was at least 10 years old! [Linked Image]

S
Even as little as a 9V battery can kill you. Here's a 1999 Darwin Award Winner:
(1999) A US Navy safety publication describes injuries incurred while doing don't's. One page described the fate of a sailor playing with a multimeter in an unauthorized manner. He was curious about the resistance level of the human body. He had a Simpson 260 multimeter, a small unit powered by a 9-volt battery. That may not seem powerful enough to be dangerous… but it can be deadly in the wrong hands.

The sailor took a probe in each hand to measure his bodily resistance from thumb to thumb. But the probes had sharp tips, and in his excitement he pressed his thumbs hard enough against the probes to break the skin. Once the salty conducting fluid known as blood was available, the current from the multimeter travelled right across the sailor's heart, disrupting the electrical regulation of his heartbeat. He died before he could record his Ohms.

The lesson? The Navy issues very few objects which are designed to be stuck into the human body.

Here's a letter elaborating on this:

I'm a former Navy petty officer, enlisted for six years as an electrician aboard a US Submarine. I got a lot of training. This story was used frequently during my training in the US Navy as an example of what can happen when procedures and safety measures are not followed. I considered the story an urban legend until I found the incident report referenced in the official Navy electrical safety guidelines. I now know it is true.

The actual event is slightly different than described above, and even more deserving of a Darwin award. This sailor stuck the sharpened ends of the probes through his thumbs intentionally. You see, he had just taken a course that taught a critical concept called "internal resistance."

Internal resistance is resistance to electrical power flow that exists inside any power source. It causes the terminal voltage to drop when load (current) increases. You can demonstrate this concept, if you're careful, by monitoring your car battery's terminal voltage, while someone starts up the engine. The reading will be ~13 volts while the engine is off, but during the period where the starter is cranking it will drop to 8-9 volts. The voltage drop is due to the internal resistance of the battery.

This sailor, like all other electricians in training, had already been through a safety class in which one of the excercises is to measure your body's resistance by simply holding the probes between your fingertips. (Most people read 500Kohms to 2Mohms.) Evidently, adding information from the internal resistance class, this sailor wanted to determine his own body's "internal resistance.". So he intentionally pushed the sharpened probe tips through the skin to elimate the rather high skin resistance and get only the "internal resistance". This, of course, caused his death.

How, you might ask, with only a 9V battery? Easy. One of the "rules of thumb" that the Navy teaches is the 1-10-100 rule of current. This rule states that 1mA of current through the human body can be felt, 10mA of current is sufficient to make muscles contract to the point where you cannot let go of a power source, and 100mA is sufficient to stop the heart. Let's look at Ohm's law. Ohm's law (for DC systems - I will not discuss AC here) is written as E=IR, where E is voltage in volts, I is current in Amps, and R is resistance in Ohms.

When we did the experiment in the electrical safety class to determine our body's resistance, we found a resistance of 500K Ohms. Using 9V and 500K Ohms in the equation, we come up with a current of 18 microAmps, below the "feel" threshold of 1mA. However, removing the insulation of skin from our curious sailor here, the resistance through the very good conducting electrolytes of the body is sharply lower. Around 100 ohms, in fact, resulting in a current of 90mA - sufficient to stop our sailor's heart and kill him.

As my electrical safety instructor said, "The reason we now have to teach the electrical safety course to all electricians at least twice per year is because some joe was bright enough to be the one person in the world who could figure out how to kill himself with a 9V battery."

K
My first was same as "CTwireman"

Had a couple due to my own how shall we say oversights but the most memorable

Instaling an extention telephone bell (yes that is correct a telephone bell)outside a building so I decided to connect up from the telephone socket first then conect up the external bell. All went well untill someone rang the phone and 50v gives you hell of fright when you are 20 ft up a ladder. It may have not been the electricity that could have killed me or even the fall. But the sudden stop at the bottom of the ladder not keen on that..................

I freely admit I am a coward when it comes to working with electricity. I just dont like pain

der Großvater
G
Ken, ringing current is really more like 100vac at 20 hz. It will bite you.

Greg Fretwell
R
Yep! been there. Nothing like beeing able to "feel your telephone ring".

A.D

I gots me another one:

While taking down Christmas Lights, that were still on! (I couldn't tell in the sunlight and glare from the snow.) The strand I was unplugging had a bad neutral (it grounded to the siding at a bad part of cord) and I grabbed the neutral as I unplugged the strand. I was on a fiberglass ladder, so it wasn't that bad, but my shoulder muscle did ache until the next day.

Ian A.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
B
Lately the copper theives have been electrocuted! They use a hacksaw!

Broom Pusher and

Yep! been there. Nothing like beeing able to "feel your telephone ring".

Felt the pulsations from the 100-105 VAC, 20 Hz Ringer a few times!
(more like, a few too many times!) [Linked Image]

Another sweet blast may be felt from the "On-Hook" status of a Subscriber's Loop, which is "Spec'd" at 48 VDC, but may be up to 55 VDC at times.

When you are sweating hard, it bites just as hard!!!

Like when placing bridging clips across sides of a 66 block, with your finger pushing a clip across sides on the "Ring" side, and the same finger also touches the clip above, on the "Tip" side... OWWWWCCCHHH!!! ...
(assorted curse words commonly will follow!)

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
R
When I was a kid, (11?)I got blown out of a tree by a service. I was climbing after a rocket stuck in a tree. I had to pass a couple power lines, and, having just enough knowledge to be dangerous, figured, "I'm insulated by the tree." Did a quick "brush it" check with my hand on the lower line, no shock, that's great. Next line up, same check, I thought I died. (duh-upper line was the hot one) Turns out that I was on the primary side of the service xfmr- 7200V. It is by the grace of God that I survived- the doctor and utility people said I should be dead. Angels put me on the ground without injury. [Linked Image]

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard