ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 391 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Cat Servant
The view "yes, there are exposed live parts, so you must suit up" is what is taught in the "safety" classes.

I disagree.

With the shields in place, the 'live' parts are well recessed, and cah only be reached with a set of probes- a finger, or piece of falling debris won't make it. IMO, these points are even less exposed than the 'exposed live parts' of any receptacle. Or cord cap.

Now, writing the rule properly might be a bit difficult- but the rule book does not exist for the ease of the authors!

Now, some will say that a 'safety' rule can never be too strict. I disagree. A rule that is not realistic will not only be ignored, but will lessen your respect for all rules. I'd rather not see 'ignore the silly rule' become SOP. Better to have a better rule.

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
Now, some will say that a 'safety' rule can never be too strict. I disagree. A rule that is not realistic will not only be ignored, but will lessen your respect for all rules. I'd rather not see 'ignore the silly rule' become SOP. Better to have a better rule.

Reno, thank you!! A breath of common sense!! (But see more info below..)

Now if we can kill off those pesky AFCI's...... [Linked Image]

My new slogan: AFCI's: The airbags of the electrical industry.

Back on topic:

I too am wondering why the disconnect will be open at all times. (And is this referring to the door or the switch blades themselves being open?)

If it's the door, then yes, I feel full PPE will be required anytime anyone is in the arc flash boundary of this disconnect. Remember that if the switch blades are closed, they and any fuses and of course the load lugs are now live.

If the switch blades will be open, i.e. "off" at all times then it could be argued that no, there are no exposed live parts. Thus no real need for PPE.

Finally, 480 volts is nothing to futz around with. Is wearing full PPE a hassle? Probably. How about several days in a burn ward, months in a coma or eternity six feet under? Those are a hassle.

My take: Covered lugs or not, put on the damn PPE!!!**

**EDITED TO ADD THE FOLLOWING POINTS:

With the shields in place, the 'live' parts are well recessed, and cah only be reached with a set of probes- a finger, or piece of falling debris won't make it. IMO, these points are even less exposed than the 'exposed live parts' of any receptacle. Or cord cap.

Very true Reno, and I do agree with the idea that under these conditions it would be reasonably safe to approach this disconnect without PPE. BUT, the OP points out that the door would be left open all the time, presumably even when the disconnect switch blades are closed and energized. So full PPE would be required and not considered overkill.

I had to add this information as it seemed that I was presenting conflicting views in my original post.

[This message has been edited by mxslick (edited 10-08-2006).]

Stupid should be painful.
Cat Servant
MX, I am pretty sure I understand what you are trying to say.

Opening the disco, and using your meter to ensure that power is OFF is one thing.

Opening the disco, then bypassing the door interlock so as to cycle the switch and operate the equipment is an entirely different matter.

M
I apologize for any confusion I may have caused. When I stated in my original post that "the switch would remain open at all times". I was not referring to the enclosure being open at all times. I was attempting to elaborate that the knife switch would not be energised (switched to the ON position) while the electrician was working in the enclosure.

Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard