ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/22/24 10:36 AM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 211 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
I know this is a bit off not having to do with the use of a vacuum truck BUT I did have an experience like that just simply vacuuming up a broken down rubber underpad from a carpet, using a Shop-Vac with a metal canister and "double insulated" motor , so the metal canister was NOT grounded.. Not only would you get a shock if you touched the metal canister or handle of the vacuum, I actually had it throwing sparks about 1" from the vacuum into the nearby metal freezer door!
Grounding the metal canister to a nearby metal box with a "jumper cable" resolved the problem for the time the vacuum was needed... I never had any problems with getting sparks or shocks off the plastic hose..
A.D

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
G
Yea verily,
Get thee a copy of yon NFPA 77 with all due haste.

Like Don says, if you are in a flammable/explosive type environment, you are indeed playing with fire...literally.

77 will tell you if you need listed equipment, or if you can place a static ground in proximity with the hose, which is quite often possible.

Don't think of it like an equipment ground, the resistance/impedant value of this can be very high with no ill effect, but consult the standard and you will likely have success.

Good luck, I've spent a LOT of time with this rascal and you will find it informative, interesting, and danged protective.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard