ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 249 guests, and 29 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#150879 12/16/05 11:20 PM
Trumpy Offline OP
Hi Guys,
I have a question to run by you all.
My work requires that I do a fair bit of driving (between far-flung transformers and fuses, and the like).
I've recently noticed that this may be causing the back (lower spine) pain that I've been experiencing lately.
The Drivers seat in the truck that I drive (1995 Toyota Hilux Single Cab), isn't designed for long periods of sitting, or at least that is my take on it.
There is practically NO lumbar support whatsoever, I get home and my back is killing me.
Is there some sort of a retro-fit prodiuct that I can get to alleviate (sp?) this problem?
I really want to "nip this in the bud", before it gets worse.
There's nothing worse than working with back pain IMO.
Your thoughts??.

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 12-17-2005).]

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
#150880 12/17/05 01:11 AM
J
They have all kinds of heat & massage units that plug into your lighter socket these days. As a starter, why not take a small cushion or roll a towel into a cylinder to place between your seat and the small of your back for lumbar support. I think they have some heating pads that you can nuke for a while to add heat without plugging in. Beyond that, make a rule for yourself that you wont drive more than ?.? hours without getting out to stretch for a few minutes.
Joe

#150881 12/17/05 06:33 PM
H
Trumphy,

I too had a bad back and drove a Toyota pick-up (actually I had 3 of them). When I was seeing a chiropractor for about 5 years (before the operation) he gave me a wedge shaped cushion for my truck. It worked pretty good. You might try looking thru some medical suppliers online and try to find one there. Try Google/"back support cushions". By the way, I had 2 discs taken out in 1990 and moved on to a Chevy Astro van and feel fine, now.

[This message has been edited by HLCbuild (edited 12-17-2005).]

#150882 12/18/05 06:19 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Joe,Harold,
Thanks a million guys!. [Linked Image]
You advice is not taken lightly.
Ever tried to carry a pole ladder(15ft long closed) with a sore lower back?.
I've told the Boss about it today and he said he might get me a new truck, besides, you cant really get new parts for a truck that old, which sort of blew my mind, 10 years old and no parts??.
Newer Hilux's have good support in the lumbar region, although the engines are bigger.
I don't need speed, I need traction and low road noise!. [Linked Image]
Thanks for your replies guys.

#150883 12/18/05 10:09 AM
H
Hey Trumpy,
You can't get new parts for an old back, either! Be careful. It is a long road to recovery from back surgury.

Link Copied to Clipboard