ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
bobleon Offline OP
could be my 19 year old son’s

He recently began working as a TV cable installer, and does not seem to be getting adequate pole safety training. It appears there are some shoe string operations in that industry, and that they are a bit lax on the safety training.
He is only on a pole maybe 5% of the time, (and we know that the cable lines are ‘usually’ the lowest ones..but then how long does it take to be wrong..and thus dead?

The question then is: what info is available on pole safety ...for cable TV installers? I spent a couple hours browsing the NIOSH website and found a few good items but did not see much on pole safety..mostly it just says..stay away. Not an option for him

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
J
General Safety for line work see OSHA 1910.269, Telecommunications 1910.268 and if your going to be involved in Electrical Transmission and Distribution Construction see 1926 Sub Part V.

Unfortunately.... this work evolved from the telecommunications companies which had good training programs... as they outsourced it to contractors that training fell by the wayside.

Jim Humphrey
Hi Bob,
Welcome to ECN, mate!. [Linked Image]
Having people working on poles without proper safety training sets a rather dangerous precedent.
It's usually the first thing you learn at the PoCo where I work.
I'll see what else I can dig up for you.....

F
Around here the cable guys put their extension ladders right on the wires and up they go.It seems to be standard practice day or night and quite dangerous if you ask me.I don't think they get safety training at all.I have to tie off when I'm above 10'so how do they(the cable company)get away with it?

frank,
Around here the cable guys put their extension ladders right on the wires and up they go
More or less they are working on the strength of the messenger wire that supports the CATV wire.
I have to tie off when I'm above 10'so how do they(the cable company)get away with it?
Working on poles isn't just about working on poles, there are a lot of other things that come into the frey.
Having a pole snap while you are up the thing can really dent your confidence, not to mention broken bones, pole testing before you climb is essential!.
Same side of the coin, first person that climbs the ladder ties it off to the pole!.
Also ladders meant to be leaned against poles are required to have a strap at the head end (top).
One last thing is the need to know your pole rescue techniques, no matter who you are in the team.
Don't laugh, we had a guy here had a coronary once he climbed a pole.
Thank God for good pole belts.

R
As what Trumpy says, its that safety working around poles is of paramount importance.
Condition of the pole has to be known, warning label may be tagged on the pole, hammer test, visual check of the pole and overall hardware of all conductors and equipment installed on the pole.
Sometimes ground level was lowered hence less stability etc.

Voltage levels to be aware of on the POCO conductors. 400V 11kV 33 kV

All to often you see a telco worker with no hard hat , aluminium ladder, no safety harness and ladder not secured with a tie line working on the telco wires by himself.
that's a recepy for disaster.
At least in the POCO industry we have proper PPE to work at a higher level of safety for pole and general utility work.

You only need an aged POCO wire to snap and you can have a fried brain [Linked Image]
Hardhat will at least protect you for that and other falling objects.

The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.
G
This is just the natural progression of the "contractor" phenomenon. The host company makes sure they are as isolated as possible from liability then they award the contract to the lowest bidder. That is usually a guy in a truck (or car) who has minimal training. Being a sole proprietor he doesn't have to abide by OSHA. I am surprised more people don't get killed. I see plenty of dumb things going on when I drive around watching these "no name" guys swinging from cable or telco wires. I would say the POCO should be policing this since they usually own the pole but they use their share of "contractors" too.

Greg Fretwell
B
bobleon Offline OP
Thanks for the feedback. As I suspected the provisions for training are weak(ening)..and the consequences high. btw..what is a PoCo?

PoCo = Power Company

[Linked Image]
Bill

Bill
R
We have auditors who work for the line assett owner(POCO) checking our worksites at random.
Check if we comply with PPE, safe working pracitises, and tailgate meetings.
All POCO work in Auckland NZ is contracted out.

as gfretwell sais
I would say the POCO should be policing this since they usually own the pole but they use their share of "contractors" too

The problem is that the auditors don't know where everyone works on the system.
If it's a HV job, no problem. There are switching schedules issued and test and access permits which an auditor can uplift from the controlroom and he can visit the worksite.

A telco worker may be on site for ½ hour and is gone.
I will check with an auditor next time if they do pick up those telco guys too.

The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard