ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
"Working on poles isn't just about working on poles, there are a lot of other things that come into the frey.
Having a pole snap while you are up the thing can really dent your confidence, not to mention broken bones, pole testing before you climb is essential!.
Same side of the coin, first person that climbs the ladder ties it off to the pole!.
Also ladders meant to be leaned against poles are required to have a strap at the head end (top).
One last thing is the need to know your pole rescue techniques, no matter who you are in the team.
Don't laugh, we had a guy here had a coronary once he climbed a pole.
Thank God for good pole belts."

Trumpy hit the nail on the head here. First time posting here, so please bear with me.
This made me think of a story that I ran across on a linemans website where I am a moderator at. There was a telephone lineman that mysteriously was fatally electrocuted while climbing a pole. Reports showed that he
never got up as high as power, but still got electrocuted. If I remember right, the investigations showed that there was a broken arm insulator or maybe a tie wire, whatever it was, as the lineman headed up the pole, all the shaking of the pole caused the phase wire to come off the insulator and "float" where it came down on top of him.
Just an example of how things can happen in a split second.
TLW

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
From renosteinke:

[Linked Image]

This guy doesn't look to happy where he is.

The insulator bindings on thier lines must be pretty good if you can stand on the wires!. [Linked Image]
From this pic, I take it the guy is trying to wrap his pole belt strap around the pole.
Not my cup of tea to be honest. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 04-29-2006).]

TLW,
Welcome to ECN mate!. [Linked Image]

C
Looking at that picture, it seems our aerial friend is not in the USA - didn't they outlaw double-d rings some time ago in favor of full body harness?

~~ CELTIC ~~
...-= NJ =-...
Celtic,
Judging by the size of the lines, this could very well be Japan with thier 100VAC supply system.
I could be wrong too.
But, check out the Safety footwear!. [Linked Image]

Didn't someone post stuff in the last year about how long you stay alive hanging upside-down from a safety harness? If I remember, it's minutes not hours.

Alan

Wood work but can't!
Alan,
Suspension trauma is a real problem.
After 30 minutes in suspension, the uric acid trapped in your lower legs, once released, will kill you.
It was George Corron that gave the original thread, that has been thrown up to the top. [Linked Image]
We(the local Fire Brigade) had a guy trapped by a tree, once the trunk was released, the uric acid shock to the brain and the liver made them both fail.
Not a good way to go.

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 04-30-2006).]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard