ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 255 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
B
My boyfriend does electrical work. Hes been working in this building for a couple weeks now. And just yesterday his boss told them all that the bujilding they were working in had asbestos. I wasn't too worried because I figured it wouldn't be too harmful as I have read that you must be around it for a prolonged amount of time. But he told me that the dust in that building was flying around everywhere so bad sometimes it was hard to see. and that the masks didnt even cover their faces for those who wore them so many didnt wear them. I guess my question is, should we be worried about health effects or is being around it in that bad of a situation for only a couple of weeks not enough to do anything.

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
R
Not only is it incredibly unsafe it is also illegal for an employer to allow workers in the space without the proper protective gear.

Asbestos in the air in any amount is dangerous. The fibers go into your lungs and latch on forever.

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration would shut the place down and fine the heck (to put it mildly) out of the people in charge there.

Your boyfriend can and should refuse to work in there without a respirator designed to filter out asbestos. If his boss tries to fire him for it, sue him. Contact OSHA they have helped some people with their cases.

B
they are no longer working in that building. one of his co-workers made the comment he's gonna die inlike 10 years now and hes really worried..both of us are. and i had no idea about anything that has to do with asbestos except that it is really bad for you.
thanks for your input

Cat Servant
A ittle about asbestos here....

"Asbestos in the building" can mean many different things. Asbestos was, at one time, used in many different products- from floor tile to decorative wall textures.

Asbestos is a hazard, in that small fibers, of the right size and xhape, can enter into the tiniest corners of the lungs, where the irritation that they cause results in almost microscopic cysts....many of which become cancerous.

A contractor typically knows just where the asbestos is, and takes measures to reduce the risks. For example, in removing an asbestos-containing texture, the area is often wetted down to reduce fibers in the air.

Asbestos trapped in a material, such as that embedded in asphalt flooring, typically presents almost no risk, as it is virtually impossible for the fibers to become airborn.

A lot of things as erroneously identified as "asbestos" by the well-intentioned. For example, the fuuzzy, fiberous stuff applied to I-beams for fire protection is usually a cement product, and does not contain asbestos- though many will think it does.

I've been involved in asbestos removal over here.
There are a few buildings with it in it, but they are on a list of "Notified Buildings" listed by the local Council.
If removal of asbestos is required here, nothing short of self-contained breathing apparatus is used and a huge tarpaulin-like sheet is draped over the entire building.
I have to agree with rad74ss though, your boyfriend does have the right to refuse to do any work that is dangerous or could cause harm.
You can not be fired for refusing to work in a place under conditions like that.

Link Copied to Clipboard