Jon:

Thank you for your well thought-out statements!! As you'd mentioned in your last paragraph, such a system would be safe to do an intentional ground, but you'd then be relying on the GFP to perform properly to avoid problems. Like any electronic/electrical device, it can fail to function without warning. However, the risk would probably be pretty low, as such systems are usually well maintained.

We _know_ that there is equipment which cannot properly tolerate solidly bolted fault. Sometimes this is through poor design, age, etc.

Exactly. And without consulting the manufacturer or an engineer {snicker} how would one know, in the field, under the pressure to complete the job, that the equipment can tolerate a bolted fault?

Thus, personally and if I had workers as an EC I would prohibit the practice altogether. LOTO and disconnecting and taping up feeders would be some of the methods I would allow. And as I had mentioned in a previous post, if necessary I would hire someone to guard the disconnect to ensure safety.

I don't believe that there really is a hard and fast answer to this one; instead the circumstances need to be evaluated in terms of the equipment involved.

That pretty much says it all. Like most things in life, all options should be carefully considered when confronted with this type of situation. Since in most cases a variety of options are available, a little thought and planning would avoid a lot of grief and potential injury later.

Reno, your thoughts on this topic please? [Linked Image]

edited for spellin'

[This message has been edited by mxslick (edited 11-10-2005).]

Stupid should be painful.