ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Cat Servant
Personally, I wish "safety" was something that began thinking- rather than ending it!

Are there rules that you often break- things like:
- using your toolbox lock on a lock-out;
- buying your own lock-outs;
- working live;
- standing atop a ladder; or, perhaps,
- using a "walkman" while you work?

Is there a place for "hard and fast rules" - or is there almost always a circumstance where the rule needs to be ignored? Have "rules" become a cop-out for lazy, uneducated management? Can following a rule actually create a hazard?

Sound off with your take on this issue!

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
G
If I had to pick the most popular violation I have seen others do and done myself it is working things hot that should be LOTO.
It is the main reason I like to see disconnects close to or attached to equipment (in spite of the rule that allows LOTO breakers). If you can reach over and turn it off folks usually will but if it is down in the basement and you are on a ladder on the 3d floor you probably won't.

Greg Fretwell
Standing on the top of a ladder!

[Linked Image]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
My failings are; Hate and hardly ever wear dust masks, as they steam up my glasses, and never have safety glasses on when I should, because all the ones I have are scratched so badly it's like working in a fog.
Alan

Wood work but can't!
I've pulled 11kV and 22kV Expulsion fuses before today without gloves on, although using an Insulated Hot-stick though.
There are things you have to do, when a building is burning.
I've also climbed a pole (on a PoCo ladder) under the same circumstances, to pull out the 400V fuses, with no climbing belt or gloves on.
I know the risk, otherwise I would not have done it.
In a "persons-reported" house fire, I want FF's in there as soon as possible, and they won't enter until the house is dead.
Just my $0.02 worth. [Linked Image]

Get down off of that ladder Joe, you'll fall!. [Linked Image]

G
Alan, I solved the safety glasses problem when I moved to Florida. I keep sunglasses on a croaky all the time to save myself from cataracts and I choose safety glass styles. I will pop them on at the first hint of an eye hazard.

Greg Fretwell
R
John,
using your toolbox lock on a lock-out
- buying your own lock-outs
I don't understand why either of these is a safety violation.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
Other safety rules I break regularly through familiarity:
Changing cutters/bits/blades with the power on & just the tool/machine switch at "off", I bet most of us do this.
Careless with superglue = stuck fingers.
Stopping lathe chucks/drill chucks with my palm. = Occasional skinned knuckles and friction burns.
Working with a steadily mounting scattering of sawdust/shavings/offcuts/filings/trims on the floor, as a trip hazard. Ditto extension cords on floor.
Occasional use of cement mortar: Using hands as a "trowel" = cement burns and no fingerprints.
Stirring animal glue-pot with finger to see if it's hot yet.
Striking an arc when stick-welding with the visor up. Not often, 'arc-eye' smarts later!!
Checking the spraygun pattern by painting the back of my hand.
And worse of all, too idle to walk down the shop for a pair of disposable gloves when using "just a little dab" of polyurethane glue. Result; ghastly permanent stains all over the fingers, etc. Poison? Allergy? No, much worse, a rollocking!
"We are going out tonight and just look at your hands! - Oh! and is that glue on your new shirt!!"
Alan

Wood work but can't!
Cat Servant
Don, that's a good question- and I can hardly accept the answers I've received either!

OSHA specifically requires a dedicated lock for lock-out duty, specifically so employees will NOT use the locks for their toolboxes. It was explained to me that this was to prevent a departing employee from removing the lock, and leaving an unsafe condition for the next shift.
My own take is that 1) if I use my lock I sure won't leave the stuff locked out accidentally, or forget to inform the next shift, and 2) that is often the most convenient lock available- and LOTO is something to be encouraged!

OSHA rules also state that ONLY LOTO equipment supplied by the employer shall be used. While I agree that employers should provide all safety equipment, there is no guarantee that the stuff will be available where you need it, when you need it- even in the best-run places.

So I happily use MY lock on MY devices, on the principle that I'd rather be safe than 'OSHA compliant."

Yet, according to the book, I am an outlaw. Thus this thread- sometimes the rules are simply wrong, and actually create a hazard.

While there is a place for rules, there is also a place for their thoughtful application. Or for casting them aside. That is my view. What say you?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard