ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Clue: Pants not split. [Linked Image]
Alan

Wood work but can't!
Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
P
Got a few guys who won't stop using step ladders leaned against buildings like an extension ladder. After you take one ride you will stop.

Same guys stand on 5 gal pails to work and even "walk" on them in a side-to-side motion. Again, after taking the weight off one foot and having the pail instantly kick out sideways (real hard on ankles) you are a little gun shy to do this.

T
LOTO is fine as long as you have a small number of workers who are sure where they are going tomorrow but it was far from a sure system when IBM tried it. If the guys who LOed the equipment were there until it was restored to a safe condition and they could take their lock it was fine. You could even turn over a problem and swap locks fairly easily. The problem was who's lock do you leave on if the equipment is still in an unsafe condition and everyone goes home. If you guess wrong and the guy who's lock is attached ends up going somewhere else in the morning his lock might fall to the bolt cutter when they get things going. He also doesn't have a lock. They decided there would be a "facility lock" for these things but then they had a question of who holds that key, tag etc. It defeated the spirit of one man, one lock.

I think there is a solution to this.. each man carries several locks:
- one or more that are assigned to him alone,
- several that are assigned to the crew (electric, plumbing, steam, etc) that everybody on the crew has a key to,
- a couple that are assigned to a specific workorder, where the key travels with the paperwork.

Everybody also carries several LOTO devices that accept multiple locks.

The equipment gets locked out with the locks of the individuals currently working on the job, PLUS a crew lock or a workorder lock, which gets left on until the job is complete, and the workorder signed off.

Best makes an interesting lock, where there cylinder is recessed, and there are two sets of holes that allow two other locks to be locked in place blocking access to the keyway.

LOTO devices.
They're more than just for breakfast anymore. [Linked Image]
You have the multi-lock tag:

[Linked Image]

Lockouts for valves:

[Linked Image]

For more valves:

[Linked Image]

Or even a whole station of padlocks and other things:

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 07-21-2005).]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 07-27-2005).]

B
The way we get around the question of whose lock stays on is to lock everything with a plant designated (and numbered) lock. All the keys for the locks on the system go into a metal box and you lock onto the box. There is a designated lock on each box (there will always be at least 2 locks if someone is on the lockout) that is numbered for the box. If the work is not signed off on, the designated lock stays on, and so do all of the other locks.

We have to have a system like this because many of our lockouts have 8-12 locking points, and during a maint. outage you may have 20 people who need on the lockout.

It makes for an interesting chain of multi-lock devices.

Ed

I am making a real effort to be safer, spurred by this thread.
First, I put a proper temporary rail up, in the renovation, round the bare stairwell. Next, I gathered all the oils, paints, varnishes, solvents, meth, spirits and other flammables and put them in a dedicated cabinet, (fire risk). Selected a drawer soley for chisels etc. Finally got round to fitting all the fire extinguishers on proper wall brackets. The hardest part has been keeping to the new 'management policy' of power-off each night at breakers, sweeping/vacuuming up shavings each day, cutting offcuts to firewood daily and putting it in the log shed/fire patch, and always wearing my dust masks and goggles, ( I even bought 2 new pairs of goggles!).
What are you planning to do to avoid your future accidents?
Alan

Wood work but can't!
P
Hotline Tags at the "power company" will usually be assigned to the crew leader.

In cases where the crew can't complete the work, i.e. serious storm damage, their tags will usually get signed over to the dispatcher until the next crew arrives or the work is completed.

If it is daily work, the crew will get a new Hotline Tag the next day.

Utility enclosures are locked and have penta-bolt latches regardless of operating condition. Or they are about 35ft.+ up on a pole. [Linked Image]

Wes

Wes,
Generally what will happen here in a Crew situation is the ACB at each end of the circuit will be locked out by everyone working on it.
Then all of the lines will be Grounded on both sides of the work area.
You have 2 padlocks, each with thier own key.
There is no way that there is a Master key.
To close that ACB you have to have all of the locks off of it and the agreement of the Control-room Operator who is in constant contact with the Safety Observer.

Here are the rules from OSHA that apply in the USA

Regulations (Standards - 29 CFR) The control of hazardous energy (lockout/tagout)1910.147
http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=STANDARDS&p_id=9804

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
I was working for an electrical contractor at an international shipping company, working on 480 volt motor, my lock and tag were cut off by a supervisor, because he assumed I had left the lock on the day before. You have to constantly be on your guard because a lock is too easily cut by a bolt cutter

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard