ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 279 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#150390 03/04/05 08:55 PM
D
DougW Offline OP
Interesting day at the FD...

Was assisting another FF in pressurizing a foam / water extinguisher - it was down to 100 Psi.

Since our station compressor only goes to 100 Psi, we had to use the "portable tank" - a "M" cylinder in a hand truck with a regulator and hose attached. It's been beat (and dropped) a great deal, and is missing the adjusting handle from the stem.

After having some problems with the foam backing up into the fill line, I looked at the regulator, and discovered that the regulated gauge was indicating about 80 Psi -
so I broke out the "vise grips" to adjust the pressure up 30 pounds.

As I'm adjusting the Psi, I'm watching the gauge out of the corner of my eye (Dad taught me to never look directly at an energized workpiece), slowly rising.... 90..... 95... and BAM!!!!!!!!!!

Now my ears are ringing, there are pieces of plasitc everywhere, and a rushing noise. I thought the frangible (burst / overpressure) disc had blwon on the tank... then I realized that the self-coiling nylon hose had blown up.

I shut off the tank, and told my coworkers I was OK.

Turns out that the regulator was supplying the 200 Psi (max) hose at over 950 Psi when it failed. The gauge had actually gone past the "stop" pin to read as high as it did.

Glad it's just my ears ringing!

[This message has been edited by DougW (edited 03-04-2005).]

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
#150391 03/05/05 01:14 AM
S
geeez Doug......

Glad your A.O.K.

wanna fill my Noz bottle?? lol

-Greg

#150392 03/05/05 02:18 AM
H
A very good example as to why equipment must always be kept in good working order. Remember in your job peoples lives might just depend on it. [Linked Image]

Glad you were not hurt. But it could have been disastrous if that safty didn't open. [Linked Image]

Be Fair, Be Safe
Just don't be Fairly Safe
#150393 03/05/05 04:41 AM
Crikey Doug.
Be careful,mate!. [Linked Image]
Sounds like you might be in need of a regulator with a decent handle on it for a start.
Also I'd be replacing the gauge as well, they don't tend to work as well, after they've been over-pressured.
Compressed air has safety rules all it's own, it's sure dangerous stuff if it gets out of hand!. [Linked Image]

#150394 03/07/05 07:58 PM
D
DougW Offline OP
Thanks to all for the well wishes. [Linked Image]

I can hear better today, but the ringing's still there... of course, as a former punker, I've got tinnitus from before, so I know what to expect. Yay rah. :|

Took the regulator apart (the operating rod) and installed a handle, as well as two functioning gauges from another regulator that was pulled OOS due to cracks in the body. Have recommended replacing the whole unit.

The regulator was functioning fine - it's just some idjit had cranked on it up to a bazillion Psi. It's now down to a more reasonable 150 Psi.

If I could install a limit pin I would...

[This message has been edited by DougW (edited 03-07-2005).]

#150395 03/08/05 05:24 AM
Well having mentioned Air compressors Doug.
What do you guys use to recharge your BA cylinders?.
You need a decent Safety valve when charging them and an accurate pressure gauge.

Link Copied to Clipboard