ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#150346 02/23/05 02:37 PM
R
radecki Offline OP
What steps i have to take to shut down safely a 12 kV switchyard??

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
#150347 02/28/05 08:47 PM
radecki,
Welcome to ECN. [Linked Image]
What steps i have to take to shut down safely a 12 kV switchyard??
I'm not sure quite what you mean by that question.
Usually, to shut a switchyard or any High Voltage equipment down, you'd initially need a Line Clearance from the owner of the equipment.
Working on HV gear without proper authorisation,PPE and training, is a very dangerous thing to do indeed.

#150348 03/14/05 08:52 PM
H
Trumpy. Why wasn't this questioned removed? The best answer is stay away and find someone who is trained to preform this type of work.

#150349 03/15/05 01:56 PM
B
highk—

Pardon me, but please, please, please do not limit your viewpoint—in turn effectively limiting others' scope of work. 29CFR1910.269-type qualification and commensurate training has become quite common on the North American continent in the last 25 years.

[Been through it at lest four times in twenty years—same instructor and personal friend across the continent whom has saved my life {through his teaching} many times but I can scream at if need be—but can call and learn from (and teach, too) always.]

#150350 03/16/05 02:26 AM
B
radecki—

Welcome to the group. Your query in the occupational safety group is a good one, and I see you are located in (Far-West) Pittsburg. {I’m in NorCal.}

Since about the early 60s, medium- and high-voltage systems are increasingly out of utility domain, but require very specific qualifications, training and experience—else lives may be taken or severely and permanently restricted in matters of milliseconds. It is just that simple. Realize that one mistake can be agonizing for lifetimes of those around you, too. In California, root documents (of many) for medium- and high-voltage electrical systems are general orders 95 and 128, but alone do not specifically address the operational aspects of systems. The division of industrial safety has that domain, and may visit any place of employment; e.g., your switchyard, and swiftly “invoice” an employer for very creative fines and gruesomely punitive fees for immediate practices and later failure to produce and sufficiently answer to employee-training records. The feats the Oakland High Hazard Unit can perform on a walk-in basis and paper trail they may produce can be nothing short of stupefying, I want to unambiguously assure you.

Fundamental but thorough comprehension of 29CFR1910.331-335 on all levels has become de facto basis for [practical and legal] electrical survival in the United States.

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 03-16-2005).]

#150351 03/16/05 08:23 AM
radecki and others,
I'd like to float a little Disclaimer if I could.
Now, Both Bjarney and I Trumpy, are both trained in the use of High Voltages, because of the work that we do now or in the past.
We will in no way be responsible for any moves by anyone that reads this text, niether will Bill Addiss or Electrical Contractor Network, in it's entirety, be responsible for any moves to copy what has been said here.

Lets just get real here, I'm a bit tired of people wanting advice on HV work, If you don't know how HV gear works, get away from it and get someone that does!.
I don't want to sound like an A**hole but I'd sooner you walked away than end up in Hospital.
It is a very REAL thing at HV Voltages.

#150352 03/17/05 04:45 PM
Cat Servant
I cannot dispute the cautions voiced by Trumpy. Heck, for me, "high voltage" is anything over 500 volts!

I recently purchased a former power company truck. This truck was built with a special compartment for a "hot stick," a tool used with assorted attachemnts for operating high voltage equipment. I looked at such sticks and their prices are most impressive! And I am sure that these are not the only tools used with such equipment.

In other words, the equipment necessary to work with high voltage equipment is of such a specific use, ad high cost, that it almost has to be employer-supplied, and by a large employer at that!

The power companies have multiple apprentice programs, with different qualifications for differing voltage levels. Quite simply put, it taked a fair amount of specific education just to learn what the pieces are; and even the most basic task can be an involved process. You just don't have to throw a switch!

I don't know why you asked your question. If you have been tasked to deal with some piece of equipment, you are to be commended for seeking information. That information is most likely available from whoever manufactured the gear, or built the installation. Failing that, given your circumstances, the power company may agree to let you participate in their training program.

Considering this age of DIY mischief-makers, and suit-happy lawyers, you are sure to encounter some resistance, as folks will rightly want to know why you want to learn this stuff. Our friends in "Earth First!" have shown a particular desire to attempt to disrupt utilities. (One such attempt involved a propane torch attempt to drop a power pylon).

Be well, be safe, and don't be afraid to say "NO".

Link Copied to Clipboard