ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 408 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
I recieved a moderately severe head injury while working and have to say that it is one of the worst things that anyone can go through - what makes it so bad is that there is no real outwardly visiable indication - its all in the head as they say.

I worked for a contractor supplying the british army with facilities support out in Bosnia, I was stationed near a little town in north west bosnia called Sipovo - it was back in '98.

We went out for a meal at one of the locally employed labourors houses a summer barbeque and then the on call technician came down to pick us up afterwards. We never made it back. I was a front seat passenger and the landrover struck a truck parked at the side of the road.

I work up some time later in Sarajevo - had taken a severe knock on the head and had been in a coma. My condition worsened and I was medivacced back to the UK where I ended up in the nurological centre in southampton. I had a sub duran haemotoma bleedig below the membrane that surrounds the brain and this was pressing down on my brain. I needed surgery to remove this pressure and I underwent what they call burr hole, a couple of holes drilled into my skull and the blood clots removed.

The ramifications of this accident had an effect on me for a long time afterwards - if truth be known I still suffer from time to time. I had my drivers licence taken away for six months - they had to see if I had any fits after this type of surgery.

I suffered from flash backs - disturbed sleep and post trumatic stress. I can tell you to look death in the face and then walk away leaves a lasting impression, you tend to question alot about yourself and life and what you hold dear. Suddenly things that were important before become insigificant and vice versa. I walked away from that learning so much more about life and what I was about.

Lawyers got involved as things turned ugly with the company that I had worked for. Dismissed for mis use of company property.

Yeap I should maybe write a book about it all as well if I could stop some one just someone from getting in a car after having a couple of drinks or even like I did from getting in a car with someone that had taken a few drinks then I would have achieved something. I would be pleased that I had stopped someone from going through all that I went through.

Oh the experiance out in Bosnia ? I can tell you I saw some amazing things electrically that would have kept this board going....

Ruggedscotty

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
K
I've posted this link elsewhere, but it does fit into the discussion here: http://www.safetycenter.navy.mil/photo/archive/photo148.htm

G
Did you all know a hard hat has an expiration date?
The OSHA consultant that pitched my wife's company said they are only good for 4 years after the date stamped in the bill.
He said they can fine you for it.

Greg Fretwell
Cat Servant
Yea..sure they are......I've yet to see any "expiration date" in the ANSI standard, on the hard hat, or with the supplied literature. Ditto for every other type of helmet (there are several different helmet standards).

I'd have that consultant document his claim.

G
I looked into this and the 4 year is a recomendation but every company I looked at says at least every 5 years, and maybe every 2 years if you work in the sun. The interior suspension may only be good for a year.
http://www.nifc.gov/wfstar/hottopics/hard_hat.html
http://media.msanet.com/NA/USA/Head...rdProtectiveCapsandHats/816803_01_03.pdf
http://12.181.169.139/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=HDP

Greg Fretwell
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard