ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 208 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#150234 12/28/04 09:26 PM
Trumpy Offline OP
In a copy of the 1961 New Zealand Electrical Wiring Regulations, there is an Appendix in the back, that looks something like this:
(Sorry about the poor picture quality, my D-cam is having a bad hair day.)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Good Lord, them pictures are crooked!.

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
#150235 12/29/04 01:10 AM
B

Trumpy — The classical US version of rule (10) is: Mechanical Execution of Work Electrical equipment shall be installed in a neat and workmanlike manner. {1999 NEC}

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 12-29-2004).]

#150236 12/30/04 04:21 PM
Trumpy Offline OP
Rule No. 15, is one that a former work-mate of mine used to flout all the time.
He even had a purpose-made extension cord with 3 large Alligator Clips on the ends of the flex wires.
To get the required supply in the HUGE Meat Processing plant where we were, he would open up the nearest busbar chamber in the switch-board room and "clamp-up", no fuses, nothing.
I even saw him open a chamber up one day that didn't have a Neutral bus, so that clip was attached to the body of the Busbar chamber!. [Linked Image]
Luckily, the Chief Electrician saw this happening one day and pulled the clips off the bars and cut the end off of the flex and waited.
Sure enough, the guy came back to find out why he had lost power. [Linked Image]
The booklet mentioned in Rule 16, is something I still own to this day, it was the first thing that all Apprentices were given at the time when I first started my Electrician's Apprenticeship with the local PoCo and it is rather detailed. [Linked Image]
One rule from that booklet that has always stuck in my mind is: Metal Hard-hats shall not be worn around live overhead lines
Not exactly rocket science is it?. [Linked Image]

#150237 01/05/05 09:47 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
To quote Rule No.2:
Familiarity breeds contempt.
If a few people sat down and thought about how many times they have worked on a particular installation or part thereof and have said in the past "I've done this a million times before, what can go wrong?" and have had someone else change a part of that installation without thier knowledge, before hand, it adds a new dimension to the task.
One thing I do know, is never assume anything because chances are it's been changed on you anyway!. [Linked Image]

{Message edited to fix bad UBB coding}

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 01-05-2005).]

Link Copied to Clipboard