ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
M
I'm a trustee for our church. We've got a new pastor comming from CA t NJ in a week and I'm trying to get a CO for the parsonage.

The house was built in 1954, and has had no major improvements since.

The housing inspector said we need to have GFI's in the kitchen, baths, garage, and basement before we can get a CO. I have been through literally hundreds of these inspections in other juristictions because I was an apartment super for a few years. And I believe that unless there have been improvements over the dollar amounts calculated using the formulas in the BOCA, you only have to conform to what was required at the time of construction.

Now please don't tell me that GFI's are a good idea. I know that nd we will install GFI's whether required or not but I'd like to know if this inspector is right or if I am.

And if you can reference the code or regulation that requires the upgrade, I'd appreciate that.

Thanks

R
Although most codes aren't retroactive, Local municipalities are apparently free to require certain upgrades during either ownership or tenancy changes.
One of my local Townships is (IMHO) getting way out of hand in what they require.
There is probably no way to avoid doing whatever they want.
I have a GFCI timeline that includes the following dates
Bathrooms-1975
Garages-1978
Unfinished basements & Kitchen-1987

S
210-8 in my '71 NEC is 'Heavy Duty Lampholders'

S
Here it depends on the length of time the power is cut off. If the meter has been yanked for a year or more than they require the gfi's, and then some. If you are within the one year period you are not obligated to do any changes. As an earlier post stated, it all depends on your local codes. If you question what the AHJ requires, then check the city ordinances. The codes do vary, but unless it is documented they can't inforce it.
John

N
Around here,most inspectors require the installation of GFCIs whenever the service panel is replaced/upgraded, other major electrical work is being done, or when the home is sold.

H
Is this "home inspector" from the town? Or is he from a "home inspection" agency? If he is from the town, ( And he will have proof or ID to prove it.) then it might be a zoning issue. I would call the construction dept. and ask them. It might be a "CCO" or Continued Certificate of Occupency which would allow a second occupent to move in. If he is from a home inspection agency, he might not have a leg to stand on.

M
Thanks for the replies.

This the municipal housing inspector. Not a construction inspector or private home inspector.

These guys check apartments between tenants and issue the certificate of occupancy.

The issue isn't really that important, all the outlets in question were on one circuit so a GFI breaker solved the problem easily.

I just get all fired up when any petty bureaucrat excedes his authority even by a little bit.

Link Copied to Clipboard