ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 369 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#150088 09/15/04 03:12 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Do you guys have any safety concerns?.
Maybe a technique you've seen someone use or maybe a newly implemented practice at work that you disagree with?.
Why do you disagree with it?, how could it be made safer?.

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
#150089 09/15/04 02:58 PM
Trumpy

I think that electricians should be trained to understand electrical hazards, and too help people who have been burned or electrocuted.

I think that we have had some discussion on this board in the past, and you would be surprised at the comments and messages posted.

I am trying to remember who it was, and seem to have forgotten?

I wonder if that poster is still around?

My pictures of accident victims upset him a great deal! I think that he was an electrician too??

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
#150090 09/15/04 03:09 PM
Joe,

Graphic photos upset many people. Let's pass on bringing them up again.

Bill

Bill
#150091 09/15/04 03:40 PM
Trumpy Offline OP
Joe and Bill,
Having been a victim of 3rd and 2nd Degree burns, long before I joined ECN, I find Graphic pictures of such material, a bit hard to take, these are the same burns that once healed, prevent me from wearing a singlet and shorts, out in public.
But I would just like to say this, if I can prevent another person from becoming as dis-figured, as I am under my clothes, the work is done!.
That is why I am for Occupational Safety, my friends.
Don't let this happen to you!. [Linked Image]

#150092 09/15/04 05:55 PM
D
Hey Mike, how's it going mate? I hope things are improving for you...warmer days are coming!

One of the things I constantly remind myself of is the dangerous nature of being an electrician. Unlike most of the other trades, we need extremely good focus, awareness of our surroundings, and education.

I may be a bit unyielding when someone suggests I do a patch job, but I see the potential fire and electrocution hazards. If someone is living in a wiring nightmare and isn't interested in having me fix it (thinking I'm only after their money), my parting shot is usually "keep fresh batteries in your smoke alarms".

I really love this job, but it's very dangerous work. Carpenters hack themselves, tin-benders get cuts, plumbers get wet, but electricians die, sometimes through little or no fault of their own.

Sooooooooooo...before I get off my soapbox, remember guys...work on it dead. Test for power at least two ways with at least two testers (testers which you have tested). If you take a break, test again before you reach into it.

Dave

#150093 10/27/04 04:18 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Dave,
Interesting point you bring up.
The general public, look to us Electrician's to provide safe and working electrical systems.
Apprentices look to us for guidance on Safety matters and safe working practices.
Let's keep it real!. [Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard