ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#149829 04/25/04 10:17 AM
D
djpep55 Offline OP
Hi Guys,

I enjoyed the chat last night about the lady that gardens with a 5 foot crow bar.

I have a burning question for Mike(Trumpy)---What's it like to hang upside-down all day & aren't you afraid of falling off?

I'm an electrical contractor in northern Illinois, USA. I've been doing this long enough to get myself in & out of trouble.

To break the ice I'll tell the tale of a personal act of stupidity, rather than sing my praises.

I was re-wiring the second floor in an old house near the Wisconsin border. It was summertime, so I was in my shorts &
t-shirt. I had been in the attic awhile, so I was dripping wet. Of course it wouldn't have been a true act of stupidity unless I left the power on. To make sure I was "effectively grounded" I knelt on the conduit next to the junction box. I was lucky enough to just get a tingle (so much nicer than taking one across the chest).

So....here are Dave's tips for survival.

Turn the power off. Use more than one tester. When I'm doing it right I use a circuit locator, then a pen-type non-contact voltage probe, then for good measure I get the end of the pair of wires in my pliers, lay my pliers against the box & cut. Watch out for multiple circuits & shared neutrals. I've had more shocks from neutrals on shared-neutral circuits than the hot wire. Now I open the panel & turn the breakers off for all circuits that are sharing the same conduit.

I look forward to some interesting conversations. Thanks Bill.

Dave (the wire-nut)

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
#149830 04/30/04 07:04 AM
Hey Dave,
Nice to see that you posted!. [Linked Image]
But I must say I agree with your tips for survival.
In my years as a Line Mechanic and an Electrician, I've only ever had a real suprise as an Electrician.
Most of the stuff that I do as a Line Mechanic, is all Hot-Stick work or Live Glove And Barrier Work, at voltages larger than 11kV and 22, 33,66kV.
I've handled 2 different phases of an 11kV circuit, when a Hot-stick failed, but w/out PPE, I would have been cooked!.
As far as us Liney's are concerned, PPE is everything, just a shame that a few Electrician's don't think the same way!. [Linked Image]

#149831 04/30/04 07:53 PM
D
djpep55 Offline OP
I agree completely, Trumpy & I've been as guilty as most. There seems to be a prevailing misunderstanding that since we've taken some minor shocks on the lower voltages that 120 V & 240 V aren't dangerous---until you read the current required to kill---much less than ONE AMP! After seeing the pictures of burn victims, I've got my gloves on for good. It may be inconvenient with gloves, but it would be career-ending to have a hand burned.

I also have a small generator, so it's easy enough to kill a whole service & work on a dead panel. Most of my work is residential, so I run an extension cord to my work area & one to their refrigerator & can work safely.

#149832 05/08/04 07:39 AM
Hey Dave,
I have a burning question for Mike(Trumpy)---What's it like to hang upside-down all day & aren't you afraid of falling off?
This is where PPE matters the most, we are just hangin' on for dear life down here.
PLEASE SEND MONEY NOW!!!!!!!. [Linked Image]

#149833 05/17/04 11:30 PM
D
I hope this post didn't get you thinking about falling, Mike! Now I feel terrible about your broken leg. Today I set my 20 foot extension ladder on my truck's tailgate, tied it off and climbed VERY carefully. I should have taken a picture of it for my "Hall of Shame". If I had a place to store it I'd gladly get a longer ladder.

GET WELL SOON!!!

Dave

#149834 05/29/04 05:41 AM
Dave,
Hell no!.
If you start feeling bad about other peoples accidents, you should be an OSH inspector over here. [Linked Image]
No, no hard feelings here Dave, after all it was me that climbed the ladder.
We have poles snap all the time here, fortunately there is no-one up them when it happens.
Which is why the majority of PoCo work with wooden poles is done from an EWP or IEWP
(EWP=Elevated Working Platform)The I meaning Insulated to twice the highest voltage that the equipment will be used for, here it is 140kV.
Thank God for Hydraulics though!.
P135, the IEWP that I am normally given is a Hino truck and the EWP arm on it has NEVER failed us!, even with 2 portly Lineys in the bucket!. [Linked Image]
{Mike}

Link Copied to Clipboard