ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#14959 10/05/02 08:11 AM
E
I went to wire a kitchen yesterday and the woman had drawn up an electrical plan. She was so proud of herself and so specific with receptacles she wanted and locations for them I almost missed a couple needed by code. She also called the recessed lights "Luminaires" which I found a little amusing. Looks like the new lingo is catchin' on!

#14960 10/06/02 12:23 PM
E
I haven't had a customer use the term "luminaire" yet. What gets me is all the Yankee transplants calling recessed cans "High Hats". [Linked Image] I was very embarassed when I had to ask a customer what they were talking about when they asked me to add high hats in the kitchen. I had no idea what they were talking about.

[This message has been edited by Electric Eagle (edited 10-06-2002).]

#14961 10/06/02 10:06 PM
Scott,
Do you think she was trying to stump you? What would have been her response if you would have said, "I can do your 'lectric work, but if you want some kind of fancy underwear, you're going to have to talk to your husband about that."

Splash on some Luminaire No. 5, Honey,
Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
#14962 10/12/02 09:51 PM
Ha Ha Ha, it just gets better.
Isn't a high hat one of them double cymbal
thingy's used on a Drum kit?,would be interesting to see a ceiling full of these.
[Linked Image]

#14963 10/17/02 11:03 PM
Broom Pusher and
Trumpy,

Ya, Hi-Hats are the Cymbals on Drum Kits with one "Top" and one "Bottom". They are normally next to the Snare Drum, but some kits will have an extra "Remote Hi-Hat" normally located near the Ride Cymbal [Ride Cymbal is a large Rythym Cymbal, like 20"].

Hi-Hats are the Cymbals heard during typical rythyms [not the Fills where Tom-Toms are rode]. They sound like:
"Tic,Tic,Tic,Tic,Tissss...,Tic,Tic,Tic,Tic,Tisss...
The "Tissss..." is when the Hi-Hats are opened and the "Tic,Tic" is when they are closed.
Trade-offs between Hi-Hats and Ride Cymbal are commonly done per progression in Rythym or for alternate Rythyms / Beats / changed measure, or to add some "Mood" [corny way of saying things, huh!].

My Hi-Hats are 14" Zildjian "Platinum Series" at the Snare Drum, and 14" Paiste "Thin" for Remotes. Sound kind of like Splash Cymbals!

Ahhh, some Drum Trivia once in awhile feels good! [Linked Image]

Scott S.E.T.

p.s. I am sure you knew this stuf, but I couldn't resist talkin' music!

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#14964 10/17/02 11:17 PM
As I mentioned in another thread...

In the band I play in, I play bass guitar and I prefer to stand right next to the drummer's hihat.

Scott35, I forgot you were a drummer! (So's Redsy!)

<music theory 101>

Typically, in blues and jazz, the hihat plays the back beat. The back beat is the count of 2 and 4 when on a 4/4 meter, and counting simply, 1-2-3-4/1-2-3-4/etc...

So, typically (but not always) the hihat is snapping (on the bold) 1-2-3-4/1-2-3-4

In rock, modern country and modern blues, the snare drum usually accents the back beat.

Lesson synposis: If you are a square, when listening to music, you will tap, clap, or beat to 1 & 3. If you are a hepcat, you will tap, clap, or beat to 2 & 4! Learn to be a hepcat and impress your friends!

[Linked Image]

Scott35, Redsy, can you confirm?

</music theory 101>

Hey Scott35, is you're hihat sound example in 5/4 meter?

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 10-17-2002).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#14965 10/18/02 12:06 AM
A
arggghhh, help I fallen into a musician forum!!! JK!

I payed my way through college and tech school as a musician. Was making more money giggin than wiring back in those days!

I worked my summers and holidays at a music superstore in Atlanta. Sold a lot of high hats too. Paiste, zildjan (sp?) and sabian. At one time we sold more Pearl drum kits than any other store in the nation.

Ah I can still hear those cymbals ringing in my ears today.

#14966 10/18/02 02:25 AM
Yes,guys I am a drummer too, did'nt know what
you people would think of an aside like that.
[Linked Image]

#14967 10/18/02 03:07 PM
Broom Pusher and
Ahhh, we have unmasked another Drummer! Also some more Musicians!

Its been awhile since a thread started "talken' music", that many have forgotten who plays and what instrument played.

Virgil,

That would work great for a 5/4 meter. didn't even think of that when posting! I was running an 1/8 note Polyrythym thru my head
(Kick Drum at 1/8 notes thruout the measure, snare at 1/4 notes, lift Hi-Hat at end of measure then repeat for "X" number of measures).

Either way, it kind of sounds a little Disco-ish if continued over and over for every measure
[Linked Image]

On the 8th note Polyrythym, raise the Hi-Hats at last measure before a break or fill/break and play at 120 tempo for basic coolness. Also is easy to jam to.

When I had my kit completely setup (13 Piece), one great rudiment for double kick work was to drop the clutch on the Hi-Hats and play Paradiddles with the bass drums and snare.
Snare hits were on "Par" with "Ra" on right kick, then "Did" and "Dle" as quick 16ths from left to right kick. Hi-Hats tap out "A-Par,A-Ra,A-Did,A-Dle" with accents on the evens [ahh2,ahh4,ahh6,ahh8].

Do 16 measures this way, break, then 16 measures with kick drum starting "Par".

After wards, throw in some quick triplets / 16 beat Polyrythyms and Para-diddle-diddles.

Snare excersizes begin with 8th note "L-R" rolls, run through triplet rolls and Horse Trots, then end with Flamadiddles.

A few personally used Tom-Tom roll rudiments are playing the "Horse Racing" song across the Toms [the one blown before a race - ta,da-Tahh Daah-Dah-Dah, duh-dunt dun-da-dun-dah, ta-da-Tahh Daah-Dah-Dah, duh-dunt, ta-ta-ta-TA], "La Cucarocha" - <sp?>, the Chorus [lyrics] parts of Queen's Bohemian Rapsody <once again, sp?> and a few other crazy things.

During more silly practice sessions, Covering the Scores from "I Love Lucy", "Green Acres", "The Dick Van Dyke Show" and other 50's - 60's sitcoms with a hard rock / metal style is both good practice and upto an hour of fun!

We have the first release of Virtual Pool, which plays Ragtime (Scott Joplin <sp?> ) Piano songs via its jukebox.
Laying down drum rythyms to those songs is really interesting. There's at least 20 songs.

Lastly, got a really kick,...- er-..., kick-butt metronome that allow you to select beats from Simple 4 beat rythym [1/4 note snare and bass] to 32 beat rythyms, plus select from 1 to 6 beats per measure. Also tempo from like 40 bpm [AKA "For People On Downers"...joke] to around 216 bpm [AKA "For Severe Tweakers"...joke].

Sure feels good tossing out the Music Tech stuff again!

Scott S.E.T.

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#14968 01/26/07 03:51 PM
H
Funny...I came across this post while skimming...just thought it would be fun to resurface it so I could brag about my being a musician too. Any other Barbershoppers here?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard