ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#149646 01/04/04 12:51 AM
G
You guys need to see this from the CDC. Gives a new perspective on harnesses.
http://www.cdc.gov/elcosh/docs/d0500/d000568/d000568.html

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
VERY Interesting George!

Thank You,
Bill

Bill
T
Thanks for the article, George. That is horrific.

Another example where the legs can kill: http://www.mypharmacy.co.uk/health_...sis/deep-vein-thrombosis-information.htm

P
George
I read the article and was struck by a statement I read. Officials have known about this for awhile. Then why do we have the harness rule and not have right along with the rule the dangers it can present. I am for safety, but not so a manufacturer can benfit, so the worker can benefit. This is alarming to me and I for one would like to see this article repeated in some of the national magizines for the 'mass' to read and comment.
Thanks for the info

Pierre

Pierre Belarge
G
A friend of mine sent me the article just by chance. As one who has been required to wear it, and forced others to wear it, I was kinda shocked, and yes, would like to have known about this much earlier. Perhaps we need to rethink some of our methods?????

Thinkgood, when I went to the Pentagon in '01, I broke my leg, and the doctors missed it. Walked on a broken leg for 3 weeks, guess what I developed???

DVT is a terrible thing. If you've had a leg injury and the swelling starts, get yo ragged self to a doctor and force him to do something about it. I am presently sitting at my computer with my 'special' socks on and still have one clot in my leg that will affect me for the rest of my life.

Glad you guys found that useful.

As some may know I've become a Grandfather lately and may be out of touch with the latest Baby Care info. We have a seat that a toddler can sit in and bounce while playing with various toys within reach.

My daughter said she heard that a baby shouldn't be left in this seat for too long but didn't know why. With this information I just read I'm thinking now that it might be because his feet can't reach the floor. Why have we never heard of this before?

Bill

Bill
George,
Thanks for that thread mate,
I've heard of this happening over here within the Construction Industry.
Could you please enlighten me as to the "Fall Harness" term, maybe we have a different term for it over here?. [Linked Image]
But to be suspended with your feet touching thin air, seems a sad way to die.
We still use pole belts and ladders here or pole belts and the IEWP.
The only reason we still use pole belts here is because of regular(3 monthly) testing of them. [Linked Image]

T
George:

Sorry to hear about your leg troubles.

I just re-read the article, and I'm still amazed that this is not something that is more well-known.

Based on that article, (barring other factors), a worker who is strapped to a tower is safer than one who is suspended a foot off of the ground!

G
Trumpy,
Sorry to hear about your fire. Hope it all works out OK.

This is the harness type in question:
http://www.labsafety.com/store/product_group.asp?dept_id=37401&parent_id=634

George,
Thanks for the link, bud!. [Linked Image]
I can really see how a harness like that could cause circulation problems after prolonged use.
It's not suprising really, considering that the straps that pass around the thighs, would be like a tourniquet when the bodies wieght is on the harness.
There must be a better way to effect fall safety than this. [Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard