ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Trumpy Offline OP
Hi there all,
I was having a look around the Net the other night, when I happened to come across this story.
It can be seen at the site below:
http://www.apa.org/monitor/apr01/worksafety.html
What do you guys think of this theory?.
In a few of the places I have installed wiring, this could be quite true.
After all, a happy worker is a more alert, safe worker. [Linked Image]

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
Trumpy Offline OP
Does no-one agree with this idea?.
Or is it just too hard to swallow?.

Mike,

I used to work for a large corporation years ago and we had a large Maintenance dept. There were people that would regularly avoid Safety procedures to get a job done faster and appear more valuable to management. These guys seemed to get more overtime, so it must've worked for them.

They were in demand for projects with tight schedules, but nobody else wanted to work too closely with these guys because they took more chances than most of us were comfortable with.

Bill

Bill
Trumpy Offline OP
Bill,
There were people that would regularly avoid Safety procedures to get a job done faster and appear more valuable to management.
I am an ex-career Fire-fighter, because of this way of thinking.
I also have 3rd Degree Burns to prove the stupidity of the whole thing.
You want to be a Pump Operator that is sent in to get these idiots out, when it all goes wrong.
Some people just don't have brains!.
Nothing against you Bill!, [Linked Image]

Trumpy Offline OP
How hard is this idea to take on board, guys?.
Sure if you people have a problem, this is the best place to address it, so what's keeping ya' all from posting here?.

P
How about the reward for safety to be safe on the job not just for yourself, but all who work with you. If people need to be rewarded above what they are already making to be safer on the job, then we are going to have anarchy in the work place. My thoughts... you do not follow the safety procedures, see ya!!!

Pierre

Pierre Belarge
Trumpy Offline OP
Good point Pierre,
I agree with you.
Look after yourself and those around you.
It's all you have these days!. [Linked Image]
If people can't work within the safety rules, they're better off sweeping streets!.

J
Some of the biggest problems lie with managment that will come out on the floor or into the maintenance dept and tell a person to do something that they know is unsafe. I for one will not do it but have seen many assembly line guys and maint people do it. So what happens the next time when managment isn't there the person assumes they can by pass something. Also some associates on the floor will try to peak over maint shoulder to see what they are doing and then make the mistake of trying it themselves the next time.

W
How about the contractors whose foreman merely have you sign a safety awareness sheet. Never being told a word on safety, but having it signed just to cover there A##!

[This message has been edited by Wirenuttt (edited 01-25-2004).]

P
It never ceases to amaze me when people will try to save money by getting around safety training and other educational costs, when these types of training have been documented to prove that the rewards outweigh the costs.

Pierre

Pierre Belarge
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard