ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#14989 03/04/07 11:24 PM
C
CRW Offline
gfretwell--that's wild that you live by Jim Chapin. He is truly a drumming legend.

Jim Chapin clip 1

Jim Chapin clip 2

Jim Chapin article

Chris(also a drummer)

#14990 03/08/07 09:24 PM
Broom Pusher and
Hey, I forgot about this thread!!!

It really deserves the
"Quickest To Detour From Original Topic"
Award, and a Trophy for
"Quickest Off-Topic, Longest Thread Remaining Off-Topic, Longest Time Period Thread"!

I don't even know if the OP's question was actually answered! [Linked Image]

Trumpy (Mike),
I am having a heck of a time trying to play that Guitar, and making it sound good!
Just don't have the Fingering to do so (regarding anything other than a very basic Bar Chord!).

I can "fake" some Leads, and drive everyone crazy with hours of "Hammer-On's", but not much else.

Bass Guitar is more my speed! That's an Instrument I can handle + make actual good sounding stuff come out of.

Glad to see this thread come to life!

It's nice to see that more and more ECN members play an Instrument, or have voice quality that allows them to sing in front of other People.

Would love to discuss the whole "Barbershop" thing!
The mixing of the vocal sections in harmony, in the cadence which defines it, totally intrigues me.

Acappella singing is really interesting - not sure if Barbershop and Acappella are in the same category.

Music appreciation is a very serious thing around here (in our Home, and on certain jobs with certain personnel).
Even if songs are used as some type of parody thing (often at times, that's what is normal), the silliness follows structure - which makes it even more funny.

Anyhow, back to the Luminaire thing!

Entering Mr. Peabody's Way-Back Machine...

When I was younger - Elementary School younger (early-mid 1970's younger), came across a City Employee who just finished replacing a "Cobrahead" on a Pole near my house.

("Cobrahead" = typical Roadway Lighting Fixture, designed in such a fashion as to resemble the head of a Cobra)

Being rather arrogant, and thinking this might make me look cool, I referred to the Lighting Fixtures as "Luminaires", which resulted in "Whaddaheck" reply comments + an odd stare; until the term "Cobrahead" was tossed from my mouth.
That's when the discussion became a discussion, rather than confusion.

Not that the Electrician was of any low intelligence - quite the opposite, the person was very intelligent - just that the term "Luminaire" was hardly ever used outside of the "Geek Realm".

I discovered the term either in some EE Manual, a Catalog, or in the NEC... not very sure where it was referenced, but it stuck!

Must have been in either 5th or 6th Grade at the time.
Wonder what the guy thought about having a youngster stop and query him on the whole "Cobrahead / Luminaire" topic?!?!?!
Never even contemplated it until now!

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#14991 03/08/07 10:59 PM
I have, on occasion, heard "Top Hats" (see link) referred to as a "High Hat", although I suppose it's just a confusion from those who work with bands a lot. They are similar in shape to a recessed lighting fixture and, when attached to the appropriate luminaire.
http://www.citytheatrical.com/la_1_info.htm

Ok, I just had to come up with a post that included both words.

#14992 03/08/07 11:19 PM
H
Acapella and Barbershop singing are very similar and probably fall in the same catagory especially in that they are both, well, acapella. Gospel tends to fall in that arena as well although I'm not a fan.

The major difference would be that there are acually "Barbershop Chords". A true barbershop arrangement is said to consist of at least 35% barbershop chords...

The most amazing thing about it to me is to hear for voices ring a perfect chord. Four individuals using their voices to make a sound (or chord) that is otherwise made by four strings of a guitar, or piano, or {insert instrument here}.

#14993 03/09/07 02:31 AM
G
Chris, Jim Chapin is still sharp as a tack but his legs are giving out on him. Once he gets in front of his drums he still puts on a great show.

Greg Fretwell
#14994 03/09/07 02:25 PM
A
Hmmm, we call a custom made cable/conduit wireway/entry enclosure that goes on top of gear a "Highhat".

[Linked Image]

See if I can get the link to work.
http://pictures.aol.com/galleries/amazingmg/5630wQ7EitNkwdsgNgN51KA4X38c7ECUogiUv4xQp5Fd3Ig=

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard