ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 381 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#149402 11/17/03 06:55 PM
D
Yes, we have two main versions of the "hard suction" (6" rigid intake line for drafting). One is rubber coated over metal coil,(the big black heavy-as-he(( stuff) and the other is translucent PVC over a wire coil - kind of like clothes dryer exhaust tubing on steroids!

Our boots are usually Servus brand, and are black, with yellow toes and a stripe on the shaft. Steel toe caps and insoles for nail protection.

I'll try to get a link in here.

www.servusfire.com

[This message has been edited by DougW (edited 11-17-2003).]

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
#149403 11/22/03 10:15 PM
Trumpy Offline OP
DougW,
Those are pretty flash boots compared to ours. [Linked Image]
Ours are made by Skellerup and are just plain Black.
Just as an aside, we are required to keep our boots with a high gloss shine with Boot polish and most of my Saturday mornings are taken up with this task (as well as other Station duties, mind you!).
Just on the subject of draughting from creeks, we had a large hay shed blaze the other night and we had to draught out of an adjacent creek, I was the Pump Operator and the Suction hose was duly dropped into the water and I stared to prime the pump and drew a HUGE vacuum on the compound gauge, but no water, we lifted the Suction back out, to find the Strainer gone and the end of the Suction full of weed and mud.
The Probationer FF hadn't screwed the strainer on apart from half a turn, so into the creek he went, at the order of the fire Chief!.
Lost the Hay shed, but that young fella learned a lesson that night!. [Linked Image]

#149404 11/23/03 11:28 AM
D
Reminds me of the pump certification at my VFD a few years back.

One of our older engines managed to qualify, but just barely, and was overheating by the time the hours of pumping was over.

As well broke everyhting down, we noticed something inside the suction line...

Seems like when the crew attached the strainer and dropped the line into the retention pond, they failed to take out the two six-foot pike poles that were routinely kept inside... reducing the I.D. of our suction line from 6" to about 2 1/2".

Oops.

#149405 12/30/03 02:08 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Doug,
Has there been a gradual down-sizing of Fire Departments in the US over the last 10-15 years?.
The reason I ask this is because I was reading a NZFS document recently, that hinted at the idea of closing down smaller Fire Parties and Volunteer Fire Brigades that have less than 20 call-outs per year.
What do you (or anyone else) think of this idea?. [Linked Image]

#149406 01/04/04 07:08 PM
D
The biggest problems we are facing is a lack of folks period.
A lack of volunteers - two many dual income million things to do families, combined with a "corporate gypsy" mindset - folks never set down roots, and don't feel tied to a place emotionally, so why volly?

A lack of paid staff - due to budget cuts, and the International City Managers Association convincing everybody that, despite increases in worker's comp insurance claims, as well as more property damage, a three man engine company is really just as effective as a four man - same as a three man truck being the same as a five-man, right?

It seems like too many Chiefs answered the "how many people is the minimum you can operate with" question from the politicians a little on the short side - now we're stuck paying for it.

The above, and the small # of calls per year are one of the reasons why Rural Metro (a private FD contractor) can operate the way it does. Remember, we're all pretty much independent shops over here, with the exception of the US (federal) fire service - and they only protect military installations.

#149407 01/05/04 02:01 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Doug,
I know what you mean, just over the last couple of months we have had a few FF's leave, here and it's really hard to recruit new FF's these days, mainly because of work pressures and also the fear of a really big blaze here at the moment.
Who want's to be away from work and family for 2-3 days doing hard labour with a hose or a shovel in 30 degree (C) heat?.
Especially considering that the only reward is that the fact that you were there and helped, because you'll get no monetary reward. [Linked Image]

#149408 01/05/04 06:16 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Hey Doug and all you other FF's and EMS staff.
Here's a question, bought about by the fact that I am heading towards, probably the most dangerous fire of my FFing career, an out of control vegetation fire, fueled by strong warm winds and tinder dry grass and trees.
But, here's the question (finally), in a responding vehicle, how do you psyche yourself up for what's ahead?.
Better go, getting near the work-site. [Linked Image]
Take care all!

<Trumpy> [Linked Image]

#149409 01/08/04 08:34 PM
D
Hope it's going well for you in the "wildland-urban interface zone"!

I just check my gear, go over the action plan with the crew, and mentally review over my safety "telltales" (warnings) to keep my eyes open for...then I remind myself that a) nobody else is gonna do this job for the measly salary, and b) that's what I get paid (the aforementioned measly salary) for!

Stay upwind / on the black side, Trumpy!

#149410 01/09/04 09:43 PM
Trumpy Offline OP
Thanks Doug!. [Linked Image]
Well that was one of the hardest blazes we've fought in a while.
It was close to the river which was dried up, and if it had have got into the riverbed, we would not have been able to stop it before it reached the coast and most of Ashburton. [Linked Image]
Got home two days later had a shower and a big meal and went to bed!.

#149411 01/31/04 06:37 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Doug,
Obviously being both a Fire Officer and a PoCo Faultsman.
I'm in two minds these days.
Let's put it this way, If I don't ride the pump to a house fire or some such similar event, my Faults Radio will start beeping and carrying on and I will have to run back home as I am not offically allowed to use the Faults Truck to attend Fire calls after work.
But here is the real clincher here, If I am on call for both the PoCo and the Fire Service, I get stood down as a FF upon turning up to the Station and this happens during the weekends when half the time there is not even the Duty Crew there.
When was the last time that you had a Faultsman at your last fire Doug?.
I'm really annoyed about this Doug, I got into this game to fight fires, not sit on my @*$* in a Faults Truck!. [Linked Image]

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard