ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
My gut tells me to stick with Jim's advice. I'm sure there are disadvantages that could be predicted and heck, you might start looking for that next job now rather than wait but don't let them make it look like you are the bad guy. This jerk put himself and others at risk by not heeding the obvious that a trained person would have heeded nor did he heed the protests of those who had tried to follow the chain of command and alert the supervisor of the need for the next level of safety (LOTO). He is in dereliction of duty, not you. The rest of them (safety officer and HR suits) are in collusion it appears. Their number one job is not 'safety' at this point, it's risk management and you and your complaint pose a risk to their normal operations or their financial bottom line. If they think they needed a good defense it's because you have a decent case with the assertion of this supervisor having done something wrong.

[This message has been edited by BuggabooBren (edited 09-18-2003).]

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
J
well i talked to osha i haven't filled a complaint but they said we have one. We all complained at work thursday about how can they justify what they did and also found out that the supervisor did not have LOTO training until after the accident. I talked to him and He lied threw his teeth he told the boss and managment that he never heard me say to i wanted to shut it down or heard me tell him to shut it down when he came up to the dissconnect. He said he thought it was shut down and he should have checked it he is at fault. Oh this p me off. Like i told the other guys he basically was going to let us hang out to dry when he made that statement. HR, saftey, and plant manager were suppose to review the information and get back with us today on weather they will change our discipline. I am not happy with this place at all.

jlh,
As much as I hate to say this, get out while you can, mate!.
It sounds to me that this place is run by a bunch of idiots and I don't think that you will do yourself any favours by staying there, look to save face while you can. [Linked Image]

F
That is the biggest load of crap Ive ever heard.The CAW or UAW would have a field day with these clowns.He is at fault no one else.I would keep that letter,wait for him to do something stupid again and drop him first chance i got.Since physical restraint is now "company policy" that is.Just kidding, but I would demand a procedure in writting with regards to how to forcibly stop managment when my training tells me they are about to kill everyone in the room.No court in the land will see it there way.They must be either insane or stupid maybe both.

B
I forgot to mention that we also have a "Stop Work" policy and procedure (which isn't always the case every where). It comes down to any one person has the right and also the responsibility to 'stop the work' - by turning off the main, by turning off an ignition switch and removing the keys, by halting the work verbally, by almost whatever means is necessary' in order to avoid the exact situation you've had to encounter. You might do a www.google.com search on similar key words (LOTO, Stop Work Policy, or others) to find some of the appropriate language that adequately describes the risk you all were put under by this blundering, blithering fool.

Also, you will likely find that when the big guns (OSHA, etc) come in they, management, will do one of two things:
- they will keep covering for their boy-wonder so they and he can save face publically. He will, no doubt, take a good bit of heat privately in order to keep his job though and save their face, too.
- they will acquiesce (agree with your complaint) that he was in the wrong and back away from him like a hot potato and he'll be kicked to the proverbial curb while they pay their fine or whatever other penalty is due.

P
Here is another thought to this situation.
Not only was there a serious breach of safety, but how about the last 17!! days your mind and the other workers has been occupied with this incident instead of concentrating on the work at hand. Just an example of how a situation like this is dangerous not only at the time of occurrance, but for some time afterwords.

Pierre

Pierre Belarge
J
Well if you have read the other post we got this dropped to a level 2, still crap and i refused to sign. I told the HR lady its just a matter of time before this guy kills someone and that they are in the wrong. And yes everyone is in a bad mood and concentrating on things other than work. I am preparing to look for other work. We will be retrained in LOTO tues or wed, and we are going to bring up that there LOTO train is a joke and lacking most of what osha requires. I was scheduled to work with this guy over the weekend he IMO is going to get hurt or hurt someone he is way to gun ho and uncarefull.

J
https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum16/HTML/000067.html

link to other thread which has my write up word for word and the drop to a level 2

F
jlhmaint,
Do they make you sign a (we trained you so if you kill yourself it's your fault) paper at the end of the training? We get tested and the whole 9 yards.

[This message has been edited by frank (edited 09-22-2003).]

F
Who does your training?We have in house people and our ESA inspectors always have some type of training going on for reasonable group/company prices.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard