ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 261 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I am looking for any specific OSHA or other reference in any other code or document related to electrical saftey concerning the requirement that calls for at least two qualified persons when working on energized electrical systems.

Any help will be appreciated.

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
Gidday Joe,
Sorry that I can't actually give any Code references or the like.
But this system, called a Second Competent Person system was introduced over here in the late 90's, which pertains to ANY work on live switchboards and Distribution Panels.
This was an Electrical Industry initiative to make live work safer, it's not even written into law here, although it SHOULD be!.
The extra person, just keeping an eye on you and you keeping in constant communication with them, makes it a lot easier, should something go wrong, as can happen.
Is this sort of thing not covered in the OSHA legislation?.
I never do live work alone, neither should anyone else!!. [Linked Image]

B
This response doesn’t directly address your question, Joe, but it partially applicable and worth relating.

I have a very talented associate that conducts some pretty intensive in-house electrical-safety programs, primarily for US Department of Energy Facilities. The course has evolved over about 15 years, and is primarily structured around some very serious electrical accidents that have occurred in those opertions. The coursework is coincident with OSHA 29CFR1910.269 rules for utility workers—for many DOE facilities handle power transmsission and distribution in the 2-345kV range. Richard Harris, the instructor, goes into significant detail...

• ONE-HUNDRED PERCENT {100%} SAFETY RULE: NO Switching, isolating, detecting of energized circuits, applying personnel safety grounds, or other related work shall be performed unless two (2) qualified, experienced individuals are in 100% agreement of the work the that is to be performed and the sequence in which it is to be done. If there is NOT 100% AGREEMENT DO NOT PERFORM ANY WORK, but consult a third +-qualified, experienced individual. Do not perform any work until all three (3) individuals are in 100% agreement. If there is not agreement at this point, continue the process until there is 100% agreement between the parties involved.

DO NOT WORK ALONE in HAZARDOUS CONDITIONS or on HIGH-ENERGY CIRCUITS!

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 08-09-2003).]

Thanks to Trumpy and Bj...

This story is ongoing ... your comments are well taken!!

NIOSH has a CD that includes many case studies of accidents related to electricity and I believe there is a CD available showing Forensic Investigations of electrical accidents. I have been unable to locate it though?

Joe,
Just a wee question.
What sort of work does this pertain to?.
Are we talking Industrial or Commercial panels, Domestic installations?.
I realise that anything more than single phase has it's own dangers.

Nothing in particular, but industrial and commercial would be where the voltages could vary. How do you feel about the following situation?

[Linked Image from joetedesco.com]

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 08-09-2003).]

B
Joe, on the panelboard pic, the handy back-o'-the-deadfront muffin cooling fan is missing—the one that fits in the bottom eight circuit-breaker pole spaces. {That fan is for loading a 225-amp panelboard to 275 amperes during summers.} ;-) ;-) ;-) {Sorry.}

T
Here is the OSHA Standard: http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owa...ANDARDS&p_i d=9868#1910.269(l)(1)(i)

Here are some OSHA interpretations: http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=INTERPRE TATIONS&p_id=23893 .

It seems that this is for systems over 600V. Does such a standard exist for "low" voltage?

[This message has been edited by ThinkGood (edited 08-09-2003).]

Joe,
Just seeing a panel like that one, makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end.
For a start, there is a lot of Earthed Metal in the surrounds of the panel that could cause an Arc Fault by workers that are not keeping a good eye on what they are doing.
Having said that, as well as having a Second Competent Person with you when working on a panel like this, I would move that Insulating Cover-up gear(sheets) be used to minimise the chances of contact with other parts within the panel, that are un-related to the task at hand.
I realise that this may sound a trifle "wimpy", but what's wimpy about spending a few months in Hospital, because you couldn't even cover your own b-side during one of these procedures.
TGood,
Those OSHA links that you provided would be a very good foundation to start off a "Low Voltage" Live work procedure Standard.
There is, in my opinion, little difference in the two Voltage scenarios, but in some cases, it's the Arc Flash ferocity that makes the difference.
You should take equal care, no matter wether it's a 120V lighting circuit or a 12.4kV feeder cable

Joe,
That rule should be "2 persons + 1 Fire Extinguisher".

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard